Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody check out the roland cube bass 100?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vic, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just bought one slightly used, but have never played through one. I've played through the 30, and thought it sounded good and had nice features, just priced too high... at least new. So the deal was good enough on the 100 I went for it. This is also partially because I used to have one of their older orange cube bass 60 amps and it was both powerful for its size as well as bullet proof. Had it for MANY years. Shoulda' kept it.

So, anyone?

SherpaKahn likes this.
  2. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    I don't know about the 100, but I too had, and still have :) an orange cube 60, and although I rarely use it, it is a dear little combo.

The new Roland combos seem nice, but I agree, they are pricey. at the right price , though, I bet you will like it.

3. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm in the market for a nice practice amp as well. I was thinking about either:

1. Alesis Bassfire 60
    2. Fender Rumble 60 or 100
    3. Roland Cube 100

The Alesis has a lot of "gee whiz" goodies, but I've heard it's not real powerful for a 60 watt and has a hiss and clip issue.

The Roland really has my attention, so if anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it, too!

4. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Next week I'll post my review.

5. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I have used one of the older Roland Cube 60 Keyboard amps for my bedroom bass amp for a long time. A real 60 RMS, not the 40RMS that the newer Cube 60's are. Works great, but I just upgraded, if anybodys interested in my old one.

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

Thanks, Vic.....looking forward to hearing your thoughts

7. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    I bought the Alesis Bassfire60 yesterday and it has me a bit mixed up. It has an incredible amount of effects but not even half of them is really useable. They just don't sound good enough most of the time, although you can tweak them to make them better/worse and you can combine them with a load of other effects. The amp is also quite heavy and bulky for a 60 watt thingie and like someone mentioned it gives a loud THUMP every time I turn it off. On the plus side, even with half of the effects being pointless there are still many good things to be heard, especially for this price. It also looks quite cool IMO and the compressor/limiter, the noise reduction and tuner are all good things.
    I bought mine with the Alesis Combo pedal board wich lets you switch between the effects banks and also has an expression pedal.
    All in all I'm not sure wether to recommend this or not. I can have a great time just by trying things out with it and it is actually loud enough for 60watt so maybe it will grow on me even more in time but there are better sounding combo's, even for this kind of money.
    Reading this all it sounds a bit negative really but I think it all depends on what your expectations as there are other people who couldn't be more happy with it so...

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I realize GSPLBASSDC posted about this amp, but I'd really like for this thread to be all about the Roland. I'm looking specifically for info on that amp, but thanks anyway.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Haven't played those cubes myself yet, but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Interesting. Any comments in particular, or just reading reviews on online store sites (I think I found two of these somewhere)?

Thing is, I think these amps are overpriced new, so I imagine they won't sell a ton of them. Then again, I haven't tried one yet, so maybe they are that great. We'll see.

Thing is, both the Roland dealers I frequent won't stock it 'cause they're sure it won't sell, so sort of a chicken/egg problem there. One of them has a cube 30 they've had for a long time... nobody wants to pay $250-300 for a 30W amp.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Both online review and comments from local musicians.

I agree - they are pricey.

12. BassMan Biff

BassMan Biff

Nov 16, 2005
    After alot of research online, I ended up buying a Roland Cube 30- despite the fact I didn't look for anything online about it (I didn't know they made one 'till I saw one at the shop).

After demo-ing several makes and models, I bought the Cube 30 for the new price of $249. It just sounded better that all the others (I'll not mention names as to not start a flame war).

I was looking for a small, good-sounding practice rig because I live in an apartment and if you have a big rig, then you know just turning one on will alert the neighbors upstairs. My specifications? Must be small, compact, easy-to-use, durable, and loud enough to keep up with 3 or more acoustic guitars, a piano, and a true "trap-set" type drums and technique.

I got more than that.

First, it's loud for 30 watts and I don't mean it's just loud- but at high volumes it still will deliver rich, clean bass. I actually played it with a jam-band and it kept up with an electric guitar through a 100 watt head and a drummer who drank way too much beer (hard-hitter). It couldn't go louder than that, but it did nicely- I was pushing it and it passed that test.

It apparently was originally designed for some military purpose that Roland lost the contract on because it's seemingly bullet-proof. The cabnet wood is thick (too thick for it's employment), the knobs are laid out in a recessed top back configuration so that if it does fall out the back of a truck doing 50, scratches are all that will be evident. The steel grill protecting the speaker, once again is a bit overkill, but it also looks nice.

I took mine apart just to see what was inside. Turns out that the thing is laid out in such a way that if it were dropped from a 3-story building, it'd probably survive. Most noteable was the transformer: it's soldered to the board and actually uses the inside speaker cabnet wood to hold it in place- a really good design and very shock-proof. Had it been stand-alone, any hard knock would pry it loose. This attached to a simple board that's well installed respendid with a ribbon that goes to the controls on a seporate board. I've seen shoes that had more componets!

The tone is awesome. You have a 10 inch speaker that's in a ported cab with a tweeter build-into the speaker...what more would you need? All your bases are covered as far as sound design is concerned. It had COSM amp modeling that in my opinion, is pretty accurate... well, accurate considering it's a small combo trying to sound like a big rig; not gonna be exacting, but given the physical limitations, it does quite well and is even convincing.

It has some built-in effects: nothing to write home about, but then again, they aren't bad by any means. I consider them good for playing around and toying a bit. The compressor is a bit much, but it can be tweeked and does a really good job.

So I'm very happy with it even after owning it for over a year. I think you'll be pleasently surprised with the Cube 100 if it's anything like the 30.

A couple of things that, IMO would've made it better....

I think it would've been way cool to have a battery system for it.

It sucks that you can't put 2 or more Cube 30s in a series- heck, I would have bought 3 more!

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Holy crap, BassMan Biff, thanks! :)

Exactly what I wanted to know.

Yeah, I've played thru the 30, and been very impressed, but just didn't think it had enough umph. Maybe I was wrong, but I'm still happy about getting the big brother. :)

14. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    A 30 watt bass combo with only a 10 kept up with a 100 watt guitar amp and a hard hitting drummer????

Uh huh.

Did you have that thing taped to the side of your head or what?

:rolleyes:

That kind of makes the rest of what you said about it suspect too.

Undoubtedly Roland makes some really great stuff and you have my apologies if what you said is true but this sounds like baloney to me.

:meh:

Joe.

15. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've had the Cube 100 for a few months, and I think it's amazing for its size, price, and power rating. I wouldn't even consider another 1x12" combo in this price range, and its competitive with much more expensive combos like the G-K MB150. I suspect it's competitive with some good 1x15" combos, but since I didn't want a 1x15" I didn't make that comparison.

I wrote a long review a while back, which I forgot about due to all sorts of stuff, and never posted. I'll post it here tomorrow if I get a chance. It's consistent with Bassmanbiff's impressions of the Cube 30, but of course this one goes to 100! :bassist:

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'd be very interested in that review. I'm pretty sure my next combo is going to be a 12, not a 15. I'm finding more and more that if I have to choose One speaker, it's a 12 that gets me closest to the tone I want. I'm starting to not like the less tightness of a 15.

I sometimes borrow a friend's Hartke Kickback 12, and it's very tight, yet as warm as I want it to be. But, next time, I want paper, not aluminum.

17. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I would like to read your review also. A decent combo has been on my GAS list for a while now.

For the past 8 or 9 months I have been trying to decide between various 12" combos. The Roland Cube 100 has been one I have been agonizing over.

There is a huge difference between a 10" 30w combo and a 12" 100w combo.

You wouldn't have to tape the 12" combo to the side of your head.
    (It would be too heavy for that anyway.)

:D

Joe.

18. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Oh, and Vic, I am interested in reading your review also. The more the better.

(Sorry for the hijack.)

:D

Joe.

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    (re: hijack) FWIW, so far, I think we're doing fine. Keepin' it to the cube 100 or "compared to" it at least.

Regarding "comparisons", I tried the Hartke and absolutely hated it. The tone pretty much left EVERYTHING to be desired in my obnoxious but steadfast humble opinion (side note, I've never been able to get along with Hartke amps). Currently, I use the GK Backline 110, and REALLY like it. The 12 kicks even better, but I was trying to keep it small.

That brings me (back to) the Roland cubes. I tried the 30 and really liked it's tone, and even tho I'm not much of an efx person, it's something else that can make practice and recording fun, but there were two things I missed on the 30. Horsepower and the compressor. Even tho my GK doesn't have a compressor, that's the one thing I really miss... especially in church.

Enter the cube 100... everything I want, tone, efx, compressor, and still not a huge box. The only thing THAT's missing, IMHO, is the ability to kickback... something else I REALLY like about the GK's.

Well, I still haven't played the 100... that's later this week. I'll post a real (as opposed to extrapolated) review then.

Thanks so far to all... keep it comin' and try hard to stay on topic. :)

20. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    One more option - soon to arrive at a theater near you - is the Line 6 LowDown 150. 12". 150 watts. Among the better effects on the planet. But, they are new to the bass amp world, and while I am extremely interested in that combo myself, I have to admit there's got to be some risk with being among the first to own those amps.