Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody checked out Sugarman 3?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Woodboy, May 13, 2004.

1. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I just picked up "Pure Cane Sugar". It is a blast from the present that sounds like the past. I am amazed at how they got the lo-fi sound of the 60s and 70s nailed. When the drummer hits the cymbal, it sounds like breaking crystal. Some serious mojo not unlike some lost tracks of the JB's. A fun disc!

2. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    5-year bump!! :D

I got Sugarman's Boogaloo a few years back and just assumed it was an old bargain bin LP that somehow miraculously got reissued on CD. And it really got under my skin.

Last night I looked them up on iTunes and checked out Sweet Spot. It actually made me laugh out loud it was so ****ing cool.

It blows me away that this stuff isn't from 1968 at all. These guys actually have a MySpace page! :p

If you're like me and you've got a soft spot for deep-fried Hammond organ Soul, definitely check these guys out.

3. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I love the Sugarman 3!! Im a HUGE fan of Daptone records and everything they put out. Neal Sugarman is a great play and so is everyone else in the group.