1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody checked out Sugarman 3?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Woodboy, May 13, 2004.

1. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I just picked up "Pure Cane Sugar". It is a blast from the present that sounds like the past. I am amazed at how they got the lo-fi sound of the 60s and 70s nailed. When the drummer hits the cymbal, it sounds like breaking crystal. Some serious mojo not unlike some lost tracks of the JB's. A fun disc!

2. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    5-year bump!! :D

I got Sugarman's Boogaloo a few years back and just assumed it was an old bargain bin LP that somehow miraculously got reissued on CD. And it really got under my skin.

Last night I looked them up on iTunes and checked out Sweet Spot. It actually made me laugh out loud it was so ****ing cool.

It blows me away that this stuff isn't from 1968 at all. These guys actually have a MySpace page! :p

If you're like me and you've got a soft spot for deep-fried Hammond organ Soul, definitely check these guys out.

3. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I love the Sugarman 3!! Im a HUGE fan of Daptone records and everything they put out. Neal Sugarman is a great play and so is everyone else in the group.