Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody checked out the new Honda Ridgeline?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, May 8, 2005.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been looking at smaller four door pickups, and someone suggested this new Honda. Has anyone here gotten their hands on one?

I need a 60" bed, and have been looking at the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I don't know the specs, but I've seen a couple of them on the road, and they look uglier in person than in the commercials. If you onlly want the 60" bed, then go with the GM. I'm a Ford guy myself, but the Ridgeline's body would probably over-compensate for its shorter box and still take up a lot of room.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I predict it will have the same effect the Element did...everyone's initial "gut" reaction will be "What the %#&* were they thinking?!?!", then once people get over the initial shock, they'll realize how well designed it is, and the appearance won't be so odd anymore.

The time I've spent with them impressed the heck out of me, very well thought-out, inside and out.

Of course, I'm a bit prejudiced....

:bag:

;)

4. Here's another possibility: the Ridgeline is, in fact, ugly in the same way the Aztek was. Once people get over the initial shock, their gut reaction will again tell them that this vehicle is ugly. Following a vicious stare/look away/vomit/purge/repeat cycle, they will gradually get used to viewing the Ridgline through mirrors, like Medussa.

Mike

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Mike, just like there was only one Medusa (there's only one "s" in Medusa :spit: ), there can only be ONE vehicle as ugly as the Aztek.

I am already actually digging the look of the Ridgeline, because it doesn't look like every other pickup truck out there! Others will follow!

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I actually don't think it looks bad at all - they make an optional black "egg crate" grille that looks much better than the wierd stock "radiator" grille. I liked Isuzu Amigos, too - I see a similarity.

There are two things that bug me about the Ridgeline, however - the cost, and the fact the bed won't take 48" wide materials. The second is a serious flaw in the US market, IMO.

I'm looking more for a foul weather AWD than a full blown truck, so the Ridgeline has promise. I still want to check one out!

7. check out the new Nissan Frontier.

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Not in any way knocking the Honda but Nissan Trucks work. I'm on my second Pathfinder, put 200,000 on the first, have 158,000 on my present one, have yet to get up in the mourning and not have the Truck start. In between 358,000 miles, I've replaced 1 brake rotor,2 batteries, 1 exhaust, and 1 alternator. Thats it!

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac and love it (I know, 4 ft. bed). Ridgeline looks bigger, but you need to make sure the bigger is actually 'usable bigger' if you follow.

I have not seen a lockable cover for the Ridgeline, do they have one?? If you can not cover and lock the bed and it's contents, then that 5 ft bed becomes less usable.

10. Bah!! Darn 7 AM posting. Sorry aboot (that's Canadian for 'about') the spelling error. I do seriously hate the pickup, though. Mostly for the "flying butresses" bridging the cab to the bed. How's the new job?

Mike

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I'll let ya slide this time on the spelling! ;)

The new job rocks man, and I'm just as happy with WHERE the job is....it's really beautiful here.

I still think the Ridgeline looks great, but I'm not getting one, too happy with my Element.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like my 85 ford ranger rustbucket. It's ugly in a good way. :D

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The base price scared me more than it's looks did.

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I stopped and looked at one of these on the way home tonight.

Bleah.

I don't mind the exterior styling, and I like Hondas, but this one won't work for me. Not enough leg, head or hip room despite the size of the thing. That, and the interior was much too cheesy for a $34,000 vehicle. The trunk is cool, though.

The Saturn Vue I checked out, meanwhile...