Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody Completed a Warmouth Deluxe 5 Yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgavin, Jan 21, 2002.

1. I'm *real* curious about how the Warmouth Deluxe 5 neck performs.

Doing the math, I came to $762 for a Deluxe 5 project, and this is without pickups or controls. This ain't cheap by a long shot, and risky considering the resale is about zilch if the bass doesn't perform.

Anybody?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    pretty sure nino-brown's got a few of them.

jason

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Fuzz, he means the Jazz Deluxe 5s, not the Gecko 5s. Theres a fretted Deluxe 5 at bass nw right now, though.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have a Warmoth Dlx 5 & it's my favorite bass second to my Sadowsky 5. I'd highly recomend that you build one but if you do, take your time. I had a few pictures of it but PhotoPoint is GONE!!!!:(

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    While I've not done a Dlx5, I've done two Warmoth basses - a fretless jazz 4 and a Gecko 5 (see below). Warmoth quality really has to be seen to be believed. The birdseye figuring on my fingerboard is to die for!. Fit and finish are perfect. Plus it's a very satisfying feeling having done it.[​IMG]

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Here's the fingerboard:
    [​IMG]

8. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I have a deluxe-5 with two necks. The one shown is a fretless goncalo with an ebony board; the fretted neck is birdseye maple w/ ebony board. Pups are Seymour Duncan soaps, electronics built and installed by Sadowsky at his shop in NY. Body is swamp ash with a translucent blue poly finish. Plays great sounds great! Total cost w/ two necks and Sadowsky's contributions - around $1500.00.

9. Thanks! My question is specifically about the Warmouth neck with the two steel stiffening rods installed.

1) Is it "neck heavy"... does the neck dive when you let go of it?

2) How is the playability?

3) Any dead spots or other issues?

I have an RB5 with the thin "C" width neck, and I completely enjoy the size and spacing. The closest I can find commercially for what I want is the Mike Lull P5, but it is VERY pricey and 35" scale.

What I'm considering building is the Deluxe 5 with P/J passive electronics. I want to use Alder and a pick guard to make it look more like a conventional Fender. The plan is to pay Warmouth to do a solid color finish, and a clear satin finish on the neck. Neck would be hard maple + pau ferro.

Which bridge and tuners did you use?

10. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Sorry about the multiple posts. I deleted the copies. Was trying to add images but it won't work??? n the process I actually never did submit the reply but then there it was in triplicate?? @%$$
    The necks are comfortable and I don't find the bass neck-heavy.

11. [ bump ]

Nino?

12. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Hey whats that red looking wood on that NW Gecko in the picture. Is it brazilian rosewood. I would like to use that wood on a Gecko too. Looks alot like alot of Alembics out there...probably just as good and at half the price.

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I used Gotoh GB7 tuners & a Schaller Roller bridge.

14. Nino,

What is your take on the Gotoh GB7 vs the Schaller BMFL type tuners? I was wondering if the Gotoh are cheesy at all, or if there is any advantage to Schallers.

My only Gotoh experience is the massive bridge I have on my RB5. I can't seem to find that seem bridge, even on the Gotoh web site. A drag, as I really like this bridge. Solid, adjustable in all planes, include string spacing. Through-body, or through-bridge stringing, and LOTS of screws to hold it to the body.

Did you have Warmouth do the finish work?

My plan is to have them do all the paint, clear satin on the neck, etc.

Other than care, any other words of wisdom or potential gotchas...?

15. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC

16. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    I wish i had the time to do that. Im thinking of getting the carvin pack and i think one pack has all the things that it comes with. I can bring that to a guy in my trown and he will charge me 250 HE does it right and he will do the finish

17. There was a Gotoh GC5 5-string bridge on the Warmoth thrift store, so I called about it. Guy didn't know anything about it, didn't have it, and said the GC5 is discontinued. Bummer, as this is the same bridge on my Fender RB5.

He then told me I can't get the Deluxe 5 body with conventional P/J routing and a control cavity. Yuck. I don't like knob-through wood designs... no pickguard make 'em look naked, IMO.

I can get the stainless frets installed on the Deluxe 5 "C" style neck for an extra $20. The sad part, the guy gave me no sense of understanding what I was asking him. I asked about the neck, and he kept telling me about bridges... not confidence inspiring at all.

I'm not ready to jump yet, so hopefully will get a different body with better answers next time.