1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anybody convert their MP-3s to a video (or other) file to post to FaceBook?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Jun 18, 2014.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Hi. Hope this is the right place for this:

I just received a MP-3 file of a song from our band's home recording session a few months ago. We decided at the time it wasn't worth mixing to put on our demo, so it never got converted to a WAVE(?) like the others we did use on our Bandcamp site. However, we would like to add it to our FB page. Problem is, FB doesn't let you post just audio, & BC doesn't let you upload MP-3s to make them Facebook-able.

I'm guessing I could probably use some free video editing software to put the music to a picture slideshow, then hopefully I could just upload the video form of the audio to FB?. If that's correct, does anybody have any freeware they recommend, or even another way to go about slapping it up on our FB page??

Thanks in advance! -Louis

2. TNID

TNID

Apr 27, 2014
    East Tennessee
    You're correct in thinking you could make a slide show out of it. Heck, you could even play the song over a single still frame pic and it would still be a video file.

If you're on a Windows OS, you might give this a shot: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-movie-maker-download

Depending on which version of Windows you have installed (assuming you do), you may already have some version of this on your machine.

3. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Yep, that one looked good to me too. I have to use one that's compatible with Windows XP, cuz my Sony Vaio is a dinosaur! Just started downloading it. Thanks for the confirmation.

TNID likes this.
  4. hazmatt

hazmatt

Jun 3, 2012
    san diego
  5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

There's not much point in converting an MP3 to a WAV file. You should do it the other way around. An MP3 is a much more compressed file; quality has been lost.

A WAV file is a much less compressed format and has a lot more data in it. If you're going to capture music, do it in a high quality file format like WAV and create the more compressed files from that original.

Once you make a copy that takes the quality downhill by compressing it (ex: from WAV to MP3) you never get it back from that copy. That data is lost in the compression process. Copying an MP3 file to a WAV only wastes storage space because the resulting file will be bigger but it doesn't restore the lost data.

The OP can post his file on SoundCloud or YouTube and put a link to it on Facebook.

6. I use Movavi Studio to convert pretty much any/any format. It will cost you around 40-50 though.

7. Half right. There's lossless compression (where no data is discarded and is fully reversible) and lossy compression (where some data is discarded and is not reversible). MP3 and similar codecs are lossy, meaning some data is permanently discarded for a smaller file size than an equivalent lossless algorithm. The lossy algorithms are parameterized by certain variables (like bitrate, stereo/mono, etc.) to constrain the data loss, but increase the file size.

A WAV file is not compressed at all. It's a stream of bytes directly approximating an analog soundwave, usually from a digital-audio converter.

There's not much point in converting your MP3 into anything else lossy. You can convert it into a WAV, FLAC, or AIFF, but the output file will be orders of magnitude larger and cumbersome. If you again compress that audio stream using MP3, it will sound worse than your original MP3. You can't add information back that's been thrown by the original lossy pass.

Your best bet is to start with an uncompressed or losslessly compressed source.

Pilgrim likes this.
  8. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    Windows movie maker will do exactly what you want.

9. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Yes, that's the route I went! Was able to make a fun little photo montage to the song using band photos

10. marco_pol

marco_pol

Feb 21, 2018