Anybody done this?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by gln1955, Sep 17, 2021.

1. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    This sounds like it could be fun. Or maybe just a mess.

Create a band to do live band karaoke (Dayton)
    6214.png 6214.png 6215.png 6215.png
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
    (google map)

I’d like to create a band that would provide live back up for singers. Would be a single day a week at a single venue, unless it takes off crazily. There’d be a set listing of songs, not just people walking up with requests. There’s plenty of technology to provide players with some sort of charting along with words for the singer.

Do you think this is a fun and viable idea?

BBQisgood, Outshined91, Beej and 5 others like this.
  2. kjp360

kjp360

Feb 11, 2014
    I've seen it done.
    No surprise that I found it painful...not because of the instrumentalists.
    Could it be viable? Yes perhaps.
    Fun? Not from my perspective, but obviously some people do enjoy Karaoke in general. To each their own.

Ostie, DJ Bebop and M0ses like this.
  3. 51PRI

51PRI

Aug 7, 2014
    None
    I know of a band that's doing this in Nashville but I don't know the details. I think it would work if the band is very versatile.

ELG60 and DrThumpenstein like this.
  4. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    There are plenty of players who could pull this off. I haven’t seen it around here, but it sounds intriguing.

5. FatBoutedGirls, Beej and 4SG like this.
  6. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    It's more than viable, it can be very popular. Normal people looooove karaoke.

For the instrumentalists it's a miserable slog of an experience. You can't even get drunk along with the "vocalists" because then no one on stage would sound good. I would charge at least double of a regular gig to do this. I'm not exaggerating, it is the opposite of a good time.

kjp360, Seanto, DirtDog and 2 others like this.
  7. Remember those bandmates you played with that you found yourself regretting every moment with them?
    It is not worth it. I did it it for a month and it was not for me. There may may be personalities out there who could handle it, I'm not one of them.

PaulCISSA likes this.
  8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    In NYC its been done VERY successfully by a few different groups.

I'll add that they weren't all top notch musicians, either. They just knew how to cover a lot of material, and were fun, friendly people. I almost played in one of them when they first started, but the gigs at that time weren't paying much, and many of the gigs were on weekday evenings.

ELG60 and Lo-E like this.
  9. 5EF01B4D-D5C5-46C6-ABCD-E9BFC4CE1EB3.jpeg
    Kuntry Karoake were a NYC band who did this. So much fun. The place was always packed and everyone had the best time. Hank’s provided a free shot for anyone game enough to get up and sing. What a hoot.

DrThumpenstein, Beej, Lo-E and 2 others like this.
  10. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    In theory, it sounds like it would be fun (and probably hilarious), at least for a while. The thought of live instrumentation behind regular folks just singin a favorite popular song appeals to me, but I have no idea if it would be worth the energy (just thinking on all the stuff that could go wrong or be overwhelmingly annoying).

If I weren't a part of the ensemble, I'd def watch lol.

11. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    This actually seems like it'd be awesome. You'd need a decent team, but most importantly, you'd need a good frontman to host the event. I'd think there was real potential here. Sure, there'd be trainwrecks, but if you had people pay $5 to sing a song and get a picture with the band, have their friends film it, etc...you could probably have a good night.

The obstacles I see are song choice and audience. You could alienate your crowd by providing the wrong material.

If I could run direct every night, I'd definitely do this and turn it into a business. You bet.

Beej likes this.
  12. I suggested something similar on a way smaller scale when my previous band didn't have enough material early on and the singer didn't know the lyrics . Just ask the audience for a volunteer for a few songs, have a karaoke set. We never tried it.

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Auditions for singers are often tough - there are far more people who think they can sing than there are people who can actually sing. Live band karaoke strikes me as perpetual singer auditions.

Sure, you’ll laugh a lot afterwards, but in the moment, trying to be polite to singers who suck is pretty taxing.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  14. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia

15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I would have a lot of fun doing that.

Beej likes this.
  16. dangevans

dangevans

Mar 26, 2014
    Not sure I would want to do it, but it could be very profitable if done right! :)

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    ...and they're usually married to a member of the band which is why I'll walk-away from any husband / wife band projects.

I wouldn't mind trialing a karaoke gig provided everybody can read "book". OTOH, if everybody can read, we're going after the more lucrative wedding gigs.

Riis

18. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    sounds fun for sure...just give me the root note, and i'll go all to hell with it...Sure it all might sound sloppy, but what a great way to work on the fly, learn some new tunes and improve chops and meet a few fellow players....or a complete disaster!..ha

19. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    Groningen, The Netherlands
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    It's been done, and it can be fun. We had the Punk-Rock-HeavyMetal-KaraokeBand around here. They had about 150songs in the catalog and you could choose on the fly.

20. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Never say never…. One of the most enjoyable gigs I ever had was a husband/wife band. He was a great guitarist, she was a great singer and songwriter and they were absolutely hilarious. The drummer was also a great player who was very down-to-Earth. Nice, talented people who didn’t take themselves too seriously.
    I ended up playing with them for about 4 years.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021