1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody DON'T like the B:Assmaster?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phatbass, Mar 27, 2009.

1. At the moment I'm in a bit of a pedal buying mode (just ordered the Pigtronix EP-1).

I'm aiming to pay a little more to get good stuff - the Boss/Digitech/etc. stuff is o.k. but I want higher quality.

Unfortunately the stores around here seem to be totally in denial that anything apart from Boss/Digitech/etc. even exists so I'm forced to make my buying decisions based on 'net reviews, youtube vids, etc. Not ideal I know but so far I've been lucky.

Right now my quest is for an in yo' face Fuzz pedal, preferably with blend, and I'm probably gonna go for the B:Assmaster.

Does anybody have anything negative to say about this pedal?

The other one I'm interested in, and yeah, it's a different sound, is the Zvex Wooly Mammoth. My concern with this pedal is, judging from clips I've heard, it may be a tad too lardacious to cut through a band mix and get lost in a sea of mud in the usual acoustically crap rooms I play in. Also the lack of blend control is a concern.

2. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I love my B:Assmaster, but still there is one thing I don't like. You have to set "ass volume" extremely low to match clean amp volume.

3. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    +1! The Silicon B:Assmaster has an absolutely monstrous gain boost to it, but the tone is awesome! You just have to be careful with your settings, that's all.

4. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    The only thing I guess I could say negative is the size but other than that...It's a great sounding fuzz :D

5. I don't like having to adapt my settings around a single fuzz pedal. I suspect the silly high gain is part of the original Brassmaster design (I could be wrong) but IMO an output level control would make this pedal about 7000 times more practical.

Also I found the distinctive sound not to my liking after I had one for a while. I guess I'm just more of a muff/fuzz face guy.

6. Beachcoma

Beachcoma

Mar 19, 2007
    Utrecht
    Just add a passive output level pedal... you can DIY one with a box, 2 jacks and a pot, add a switch if you're feeling fancy :p

7. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I had no idea that the Brassmaster had so much gain so when I built my clone I thought I did something wrong. My clone is going to get a output volume pot eventually.

I made a Fuzz Face clone with blend. Sounds good to me. It's nice having in your face fuzz without losing any low end.

8. great idea! after I spend 300 bucks on a fuzz pedal I can't wait to DIY another external pedal that makes it useable! :rolleyes:

I actually had mine in a loop with volume control. It was still a pain in the neck. Also, this is a fairly large pedal so adding an external level box to the loop (what I think you mean) end up taking up way too much space. For me, anyway

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I don't have anything bad to say about the B:Assmaster other than it wasn't for me. Great pedal, just not the fuzz tone I want.

As for the Mammoth, I haven't had trouble cutting through a mix with it. It doesn't have a scooped tone and is buzzy enough in the mids to give good presence. My problem with the Mammoth (outside of not playing nice with actives) is that it isn't versatile at all.

10. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    I havent heard any B:assmaster or Brassmaster clone clips that I liked. I havent ever played one, but it doesnt sound like what I want. I built a Mammoth clone and yall werent kiddin when yall said that it hates actives. I am more of a muff fan I guess. I always come back to some sort of muff.

11. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm actually surprised how many people like the Brassmaster. Perhaps 'cause it's different from almost every fuzz pedal?

12. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I love mine to pieces, it has a very unique fuzz tone esp when blended, but it can't do unity gain for poopiee.

13. If you are using an active bass you should go with the B:assmaster. The Wolly Mamoth does not work well with that hot of an output.

Seriously though, I've slain at least 15 people AND cracked the foundation of my home with the Assmaster

14. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    bassfuzz.com is a great source.

15. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    I think your right. It is a very unique sound, but not up my alley. I am suprised how many like it as thier only fuzz though.

16. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I agree with Bassenstien about not hearing any clips I liked, but I havent personally played the pedal either, which might be a different story in person..

For fuzz I like the Messdrive Hybrid. Best fuzz for the price IMO. No problems at all with active or passive basses and I have no problems being heard in the band mix. My.02

17. They also sound COMPLETELY different so keep that in mind.

18. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I always thought that Zvex pedals are handmade in USA. Today I found this (about Woolly Mammoth):

"The originals were completely hand made in Minnesota and only had three knobs. The second generation was still completely hand made with the addition of the Pinch (I believe) knob. After demand for his pedals exceeded his ability to supply them, he re-designed the circuit board layout and out-sourced the electronics construction to China (hence the big CE on the bottom). The original USA made circuit boards were assembled and soldered by hand and attached to the pots via short lead wires. The Chinese ones have the pots soldered directly to the circuit board."

Is it true?

19. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    after listening to lots of soundclips, i don't think i'll ever buy a b:assmaster. love the idea of it, but i don't think it's what i want in a fuzz

20. The CE is not saying that it was made in China. The CE means it complies with European standards (ie. no lead in the solder or toxic components that would have an environmental impact if it were to be thrown out). They very well could be made in China, but whomever told you that obviously doesn't know what they're talking about.