Anybody else do this... ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sal_Paradise, Feb 6, 2005.

1. My bass is strung A-D-G-C, but is tuned E-A-D-G.

Is this an uncommon thing?
  2. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

hehe...that's about a light string gauge...WOW!

You must have to use a really, really light touch on it

Doesn't it feel floppy? What does it sound like compared to using conventional strings?

You must have to use an awefully light touch.
  3. Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    I do something kind of weird like that, I sting my Ibanez
    B-A-D-G but usually have it tuned C#-F#-B-E, in Drop-D, or even in standard. it plays good, except for the action, which sucks. I'm waiting for the neck to snap in two anyways... :p
  4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I THINK I remeber reading somewhere a LONG time ago that Claypool used an A string for his E or somehting like that..
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I use Rotosound funkmasters on my basses. .030-.090
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I string one of mine BEAD with medium gauge strings (.125-.065 or some such) and tune CFBbEb. The handy thing is that this tuning is actually higher than BEAD, so the tension is great, no flopping strings around. Got sick of tuning down and having the strings act like they owned the place.
  7. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Im pretty sure your right. He had two a's and 2 g's if im not mistaken.
  8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Claypool use to use two .95's(E&A) and 2 .40's(D&G) for his four string sets.
  9. :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
    The only reason I could imagine someone doing something like that is to pull off some strange alternative tuning schemes.

But then, we're talking Claypool..."strange" is his middle name (he changed it from "psychotic" in the 7th grade) :D :D
  10. They're a fairly heavy guage. I get a bit of buzz on the G (well, the C), but otherwise I think it sounds geat. It hasn't changed the way I play at all, and I'm a pretty aggressive player. I just really prefer the feel.