Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody else EQ their MM like this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by all_your_bass, May 17, 2005.

1. all_your_bass

all_your_bass

Jul 20, 2004
    I've got a SUB sterling and I'm not a huge fan of scooped mids and I actually tend to cut the treble as much as possible while boosting mids about as much as possible and boosting the bass a little, anybody else do something similar to this?

2. kLumick

kLumick

Apr 4, 2004
    You like to fahhht eh?

3. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    That's my currently favoured Stingray EQ. I also have the amp EQed with the bass down and the treble all the way up. Maybe I'm just a bass pervert.

4. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow, these are pretty extreme. I'll try these sometime. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't supressing the treble all the way and boosting the mids and a little bit of bass all the way kill a lot of the "growl"? Guess it depends on the amp too, as noted by cbh.

Interesting point about having the treble all the way down on the bass itself, and all the way up on the amp side. What exactly does this sound like? I'm sure they just don't cancel each other out. I'll have to try this...just curious...

-T

5. all_your_bass

all_your_bass

Jul 20, 2004
    I wouldn't say it kills the growl... it's more of a different kind of growl.

And as far as cutting treble on the bass and boosting on the amp, the result would all depend upon what frequencies the treble controls are centered at on the preamp and what sort of boost/cut range they preamps have.

6. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    There's no particular scientific rationale behind my settings (which is often a bit hit & miss for me anyway... probably because I don't always know what I want until I find it), just some random twiddling until I got what I was after. Which was, just in case you're curious, intended to be a bit like JJ Burnel's P sound on Black & White without having to use a plectrum. Only nastier.

7. all_your_bass

all_your_bass

Jul 20, 2004
    I do the same, and what I came up with was kinda extreme or bizarre or whatever and I was curious if anyone else had done the same with their eq.