1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody else got one of these???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jools4001, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I got this a few years ago as a backup to my Ric. It sounds good in a bright 'piano' sounding fashion and It's not bad looking in an angular 90's sort of way - and it's got a nice birdseye maple top. All I know is that it's a Palm Bay Atlantic (a company better known for pointy headstock 'big hair' band guitars) but I know nothing else about it. The interweb searches don't give much info and I've never seen another one either strapped to another bass player or in a store. It's a bit of a curates egg, good in parts but a bit sloppy in others....anyway her's all it's bits and pieces. Can anybody give me any more info about it

P1000060.

Close up of body, PJ pups (unknown make) controls are volume, blend, active pre - stacked treble and bass

P1000061.

Nice woodwork with black veneer between Mahogany body and Birdseye Maple top, but the gold knobs are already going green.

P1000063.

More nice woodwork on the neck with slight figuring on the Maple lams, nice laminates and nice scarf joint - the headstock also has a black accent between the main headstock and the birdseye maple facing veneer. Neck is two octave, nice slender flattened D profile

P1000069.

It's even got a reasonable 'mother of pearloid' inlay on the first fret marker (albeit with quite a lot of filler around it)

P1000064.

But then it's let down by a really cheap and tacky headstock decal

P1000066.

And a nicely designed bridge (ABM take on a Hipshot I think) but it's not mounted square to the centreline, the treble side is slightly forward of the bass side

P1000062.

Anyway, if anybody knows more about it than I do all info gratefully received

2. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

[tongue-in-cheek] What, nobody else got one? I've obviously got a rare collector's piece then ;) [/tongue-in-cheek]