Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody else have a problem with T-I JFlat low B?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Richard Lindsey, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I had a set of T-I Jazz flats on my Shuker-Lamaq ABG, and I really dug how the middle range of the bass sounded and felt, but I just couldn't get any joy out of the low B. Little volume and less tone. Since the guitar is new, I'm still messing around with strings, looking for the best match. I'm pretty sure the low B issue I had isn't just a matter of the limiting physics of an ABG body size, because I put on a set of D'Addario roundwounds and got a much better low B response, not just in absolute terms but in relation to the rest of the strings as well.

As a 4-string set, the JFs would have been very cool, but I just couldn't stand that low B any more.

Anybody else had this experience, or is it possible I just got a dud set?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't have an ABG, but the TI B string sounded fine on my Heartfield DR-5. If anything, it was a little loud compared to the E. I'm back to roundwounds, but I thought the TI JF's were great.

3. Richard,

I use TI Jazz Flats on my fretless five, and the B is massive.

It wasn't massive for the first month, though. Takes time to break in.

However, I found TIs very disappointing on a Rob Allen MB2 I used to have.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Odd. I wonder if the JFs might work better on solid bodies?

Andy, what happened to the Rob Allen? I thought you adored that thing. Or have you become a bass minimalist in your dotage?

5. The mb2 was...exquisite. Best neck I have ever seen on a bass. Beautiful instrument.

But I just could not get a useable live sound out of it. So it went.

I have decided that God meant electric basses to be solid.

I have found the jazz flats disappointing with piezos. Partcularly when compared to the Labella 760n set.

Now there's an idea!

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My TI Jazz flat low B sounds fine, but if I were in your position, I would immediately change the flats out with the TI Acousticore strings. Designed from the ground up for acoustic instruments with the help of Rick Turner.

Yep...that's what I'd do if I had a new 6 string acoustic bass....(shuffles off in a jealous snit...);)

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That's a good suggestion, and I did consider it ... but I just know those things would be way too low tension for me. Wouldn't feel comfortable, and the maker feels that the bass needs more tension to sound its best. I understand that point; my classical sounds better with high tension strings too.

I can't understand why T-I doesn't offer more different gauges in their sets. You get one set of flats, one set of acoustics, and IIRC one set of Power Bass roundwounds. It's not a one-size-fits-all kinda thing, after all. I wish they'd branch out more.

8. The point is, that every bass responds differently to any given set of strings, and not all strings work well on all basses. For example, my TI Jazz Flats work brilliantly on my Yamaha BBG5a, the B is great, but dont work so good on my Fender Deluxe Jazz V. They also worked well on my since departed Tobias 6. All these questions about strings in this forum are virtually meaningless, IMO, because of this simple fact. Another example; D'Addario roundwounds worked great on that Fender, but were only average on the Yamaha.
    The bottom line is; you will only find the best strings for your bass by trying out different sets. Is'nt that expensive, goes the collective cry? Well of course it is, but that's life in the world of bass. What price do you put on good tone?

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sure, that's all true, but there's a difference between "doesn't work well" and flat-out dead. The first is something I've been resigned to for years; you do have to experiment to find the best match for a given instrument. The second, however, is something that strikes me more as a manufacturing, design, or QC issue. I'm simply trying to figure out which it is in this case.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You should contact Thomguy. If it is a dead string, he'll likely replace it, FOC, so you can know for sure.

11. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    He's right, Richard. It sounds like you got a dud B. I apologize for the inconvenience but I'm happy to replace it. Please call or email directly and I'll get a replacement in the mail to you right away.

12. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Andy, was the MB-2 a 5 string lined fretless with flamed maple top? If so, it's mine now.

13. No.

:D

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Props to Thomguy for helping me out. I sent Kevin my old low B, and he sent me a new one immediately. I guess it's true what they say about T-I customer service!

BTW, the new string is *substantially* better to my ears. Much more in balance with the others. We'll see how it lasts.

Just for the record, after I took the Jazz Flats off my ABG a couple of weeks ago, I put on a set of D-Addario Half Rounds. These were pretty OK, except that the low B, which was just acceptable to begin with, died in less than a week and became far worse than my first T-I low B ever was. When I restrung with the Jazz Flats (with the new B) last night, I breathed a sigh of relief. So far, these seem to be the best match for what I wanted out of this instrument originally.

15. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Thanks for the update, R.L., and the props, ;-) I'm glad you brought this to my attention and am always happy to help so please keep me posted if I can even be of assistance.