1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody else have problems with emg pups making your Low E terribly muddy

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RBX4, Jan 17, 2012.

1. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    ?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Heck no, quite the opposite. Muddy is the LAST word I would use to describe EMG.

3. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    Absolutely agree.
    I have EMG's on my Modulus Q4 and they sound like a Steinway Grand Piano.

4. rocknrollmouse

rocknrollmouse

Jan 2, 2012
    UK
    +1
    My EMG equipped basses are clear, almost to the point of clinical

5. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Then maybe I'm gonna have learn to set and intonate myself

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I'm not a fan of EMG pickups.

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Intonation has nothing to do with tone. That's to get the higher notes to play in tune.

Are they active EMGs? What kind of strings are you using? How old are they?

8. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Ok, cool, amateur here! Well it's a squier vm jazz with the emg jx active pups, strings are Ernie ball slinkys and are two months old, the bass is on drop d with the low e being a 115 for tight tension the rest is 85 70 50, after the 7th Fret it starts sounding muddy and distorted and I hate it! Help

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    How close is the pickup to the strings? Sounds like it might be to close. Generally you want to keep the treble side of the pickup close and the bass side a little farther away.

10. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Thank you sir! :) should I try it myself, or take it to my guy?

11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Ernie Ball strings are your first problem...and two months old at that! Try some DR FatBeams.

12. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Get a Philips head screwdriver and experiment with the pickup height, go a quarter turn at a time until you find the sweet spot in tone and string-to-string balance. No need to go to a tech to turn screws, you CAN'T mess up adjusting pickup height.

That 115 E string may have something to do with it as well, especially if it's old. If you like drop tuning, maybe try a set that's designed for it, you'll probably get more balanced tones going from the E to the G.

13. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Will do that tonight! The reason why I use a 115 is that I play with a pick so I need the strings nice n tight. The 110 n 105 were just to slack! Maybe I will try dr fatbeams! Can I get I get a tech out there to give me tight tension with a 110? Or no. Thanx guys!

14. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Generally speaking, string tension will have less to do with gauge than the way the string is constructed. For what you're seeking, I'd avoid round core strings, they're a lot more "floppy" than hex cores. Fatbeams are round cores, and while they are a great sounding string, you're probably not going to get the tightness you seek with them. Again, speaking in general terms, hex cores like Rotosounds and DR Lo-Riders are "tighter," and a set designed for drop tuning like DR DDT or Rotosound Drop Zone may work even better for you.

What I would highly recommend is shooting an e-mail to Jason @ www.bassstringsonline.com. He's a talkbass member, is very knowledgable about the details of all the strings he carries, and his prices are the best I've seen. Mention you're a talkbass member for an additional discount. He'd be able to steer you towards a set specifically made for drop tuning that you'd be happy with.

Good luck, let us know how your solution turns out!

15. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah if a .110 was too floppy for you, you don't want FatBeams. You might want to look at DR DDT's.

16. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    This is what I thought it is, thank you !