1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody else here listening to the new Foo Fighters?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Feb 26, 2008.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    This isn't really a comment about bass playing in any particular album.

I've been listening to the new Foo Fighters album "Echoes, Patience, Silence, and Grace" lately. Anybody else think someone in the band recently went through a divorce? I'm sensing a pattern in the lyrics.

2. funkymonk77

funkymonk77

Jan 21, 2008
    i could see that...they should do so every album if it sounds that good

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I agree about this album sounding really good! It's all I've been listening to for more than a week! I think it's the most cohesive album so far. I just checked on Wikipedia and it seems like any member of the band that was married is still married - I'm glad to hear it! I just hear a lot of separation in the lyrics.

"Come Alive" is a very spiritual song as well. I have my theories about it - what's your take?

4. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    the pretender i one of the best songs in last 20 years in my opinion...
    great tune.

really.

5. GlassJaw

GlassJaw

Jul 24, 2006
    Rhode Island
    This isn't meant to threadcrap at all but the Foo Fighters are really over-rated to me. I don't know what it is. It's not that I dislike them per se, just that nothing they do really makes me pay too much attention. I just find their stuff very average. I know a lot of people that are really into, and that's cool, but I just don't get it. *shrugs*

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    That's totally cool. I can sure understand not "getting" a group or why people think they're so great! Some people think Radiohead is the greatest band ever - I don't get it because I don't like how they're music sounds. When you ask Radiohead fans why they like the music or think they're so great they'll tell you it's their arrangements or something really technical having to do with music theory and subdominant chords or some such. I'm sure they're very creative, but since I don't like how the music sounds I'll have to take their word for it.

I don't think Foo Fighters are the best band ever but there are some things I really appreciate about their music:

1. I like the tone of Dave Grohl's voice. I really like the fact that it can be smooth on some songs and then he can take it to raspy on other songs, or both in some songs. So many singers sing the same way in every song.

2. There's real dynamics in their music, both in volume and intensity, which helps to tell a story in the song.

3. Great guitar hooks! "Monkey Wrench" is one of my favorite rock songs of all time.

4. Thoughtful lyrics

5. Very little cussing - I think cussing is a sign of low creativity and it's offensive

It's a bunch of subtle things. If all you hear are the radio hits I can see how they would sound a lot like other bands out there and seem like no big deal.

7. Flizzy21

Flizzy21

May 13, 2007
    Saw them in Philly last Thursday. Don't particularly love him, but Serge from system of a down open for them with his solo band. Great concert, drums were kinda loud though :meh: ... and when i say loud I mean that you got shell-shocked after each bass drum hit:bassist::bassist:

8. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I'm really digging the new album myself, especially the acoustic laid back stuff on the album.

9. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    I own their first four albums and enjoy them very much. But to me their last two sound generic and devoid of hooks. It just doesn't turn my crank at all. Sad, but four good albums is three more than a lot of other bands can manage. :meh:

10. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL

Goes to show ya how different people hear different things. I was going to comment how their latest album seems to have a hook in every song! Go figure.

11. axisluminary

axisluminary

Sep 30, 2007
    what blows my mind about the foo fighters is how they have so consistently stayed on top. 12+ years as a rock band and every year, i would bet, they've had at least a top 25 single that's actually enjoyable. i admire their ability to write good, catchy, rock songs. dave grohl has got to be one of the most prolific musicians of the past twenty years.

12. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Dave Grohl is a workingman's musician: versatile, funny/down to earth and has been gigging, writing, recording for pretty much all of his musical career. New musicians nowadays release three albums in 8 years and then call it quit or try to make a solo album that probably sucks: making it big in two bands on a different instrument is unheard of in today's world.

13. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I like the Foos.

The only comment I can make is it's too bad Dave isn't in the drum chair. The guy is a pounding machine.
    I understand being the lead singer it's hard to be strapped down to an immobile instrument in the back.

A GREAT drummer is a terrible thing to waste.