Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody else here play SHORT SCALES???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bargainhunter, Jul 28, 2004.

1. bargainhunter

bargainhunter

Jul 28, 2004
    Victoria
    I have 4 of em, ranging from 30 1/8" to a full 30 1/2" !!

Just wondering if i have any company here?

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I play an Epiphone Allen Woody. Nice bass, sounds good, lightweight and plays good.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have two Alembic 30.75 (S1 and SC Sig Dlx), two custom 30.75's in progress, a couple of cheap Samick 30" (one modified) and two medium scales, a Kubicki X and a Burns. I also have a couple of 34"-ers, but only really use the 5 when I need the occaisional low B.

I see you have a Rick 3000. What are they like? I've always been intrigued by them but have never even seen one!

4. I rock a newer Dano Longhorn, an Epiphone Rivoli II, and a Fender Musicmaster. I LOVE the tubby tone.

The Fender & Dano are more my guitar players than mine, but I use them often.

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I have 3 short scale basses in my collection that I use regularly.

One is a Hallmark SweptWing VS-4 (solid body).

The other two are a Hofner 500/1 and a Vox Constellation IV (Teardrop).

Each one has its own unique sound.

TD

6. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes, I would love to buy one of these basses. I tried one at Guitar Center (mustang) and it felt comfortable. I have smaller hands, but never considered a small scale bass until a few months ago when I tried the Mustang. I just wonder if it's harder to purchase my favorite and exclusive string set (D'Addario XL170's)

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont think my Ibanez Black Eagle counts since its 33 1/2" but Id like to get a Fender Bass VI or the new Schecter Hellcat VI.

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I bought one for my son and love it. I love the feel of it, but I'm hooked on having a 5 string, so I don't use it very much.

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    In the US you have a number of options for short scale string, Just Strings being one and the Bass Central string club being another. Being overseas, I have to order a number of sets at a time to get decent breaks on shipping which stinks.

That looks pretty cool.

10. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA

11. bargainhunter

bargainhunter

Jul 28, 2004
    Victoria
    Rickenbacker's Model 3000 is actually my favorite bass of all time. It gets the trademark "DEEP" rickenbacker 'neck pickup' sound, but in addition to that, it sounds SIMULTANEOUSLY deep and "twangy". (You can roll off the twang nicely with the tone control)

It has a single humbucking pickup, which was also found on the long-scale version of the same era (model 3010 or something like that)... possibly its the same pickup they currently use in the Cheyenne series.

Since 1976 I have wanted a short-scale "4000-series", but when i wrote them back in the 80's asking for a custom shortscale 4002, they turned me down FLAT! So the 3000 was the best i could do... and I'm very happy i got one :D

12. bargainhunter

bargainhunter

Jul 28, 2004
    Victoria
    i just looked on ebay for a model 3000 - but didnt find one! (Usually one turns up there every couple of months or so)

I did find something BIZZARRE though - somebody has posted a 'project bass' with a TWENTY-TWO INCH SCALE!!

i dont think that's POSSIBLE with metal strings ( its got a magnetic pickup, not piezo!) - you would have to use 60-130 strings at least, dontcha think? I know the silicone-rubber-stringed 'ashbory' basses have a 19 inch scale...

ebay search on "short scale bass"

13. 1980-ish Alembic Series I 30.75" scale

I love it! :bassist:

14. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Not sure of the actual inch length, but I use a Univox HiFlier which is a mosrite copy.

15. bargainhunter

bargainhunter

Jul 28, 2004
    Victoria
    anybody have the link to the "bass central string club"?? whats that all about?

16. bargainhunter

bargainhunter

Jul 28, 2004
    Victoria
    thanks for the link!

HEY - that Univox kinda reminds me of my first true love, a sunburst Hagstrom "SG" shortscale.. i sure wish i still had that one!

Another KILLER little bass (that i wish i still had) was the Framus short-scale "LP" from the late 60s... the one with the multi-laminate neck!

Anybody here ever try the Gretsch short scale from the 70s? (TK-300)

17. jenplunger

jenplunger

Aug 9, 2004
    I just got the fender mustang compitition (1970's) I love it, its short scale, the tone is amazing, but its still pretty heavy & I thought it would be lighter. can anyone reccomend a light bass 7 1/2 or less? I have a shoulder injury.
    Thanks!

18. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    In short scale I would recommend the Epiphone Allen Woody, about 6 1/2 lbs. It sounds great, but is more of an old school sound. If you want a long scale that has a more versatile sound try the Fender Zone at 7 1/2 lbs. It is a P/J with a 3 band EQ.

I was having back problems and bought these two basses because of them. My back is better now, but these are still my two main basses.