Anybody else miss SWR???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tb-player, May 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. tb-player

tb-player Gold Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    I totally miss SWR amps and cabs. I had a GK 800rb running through an SWR Goliath 410 4 ohm cab and it was a hundred pound tone-beast. A friend of mine had the Redhead kickback combo and it was also amazing. I kind of feel like there's nothing quite like SWR out there now.

Granted, I like lightweight, so I'm all about Aguilar now. But I still wish SWR was an option. Such great gear!

I still have the GK head. I gave the cab to a church that needed it.

2. No? :)

But only because I have a 350x in a rack case upstairs. :)

Best wishes,
    Brent

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    SWR has been out of business for like 10 years and still people post about them every day! They have to be the most popular amps ever made. I had an SM-900 back in the 90's. Probably should have kept it. I sold it, then UPS destroyed it :(

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  4. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Yeah, I was happy to donate mine to a good cause. But sometimes I do miss it (then I pick up my 25lb Aguilar cab and I feel better... lol)

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Still have and use an SWR BBII purchased new. The other gem is an LA-8 with a Celestion 8" and a Summit TD-100 used as pre. Incredible! Like playing a monster roaring rig next to acoustic guitars. All the other kit I moved like a bad stock when values dropped. Now it's a super deal for new users.

iammr2, SteveC and ChickWithaRic like this.
  6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Years ago I started playing in a band at a guitar player's house, and he happened to own a Goliath Jr. II. I didn't really know much about SWR, but for convenience I started using it so I didn't have to haul my own cab. When the band grew to the point that a single 2x10 wasn't enough, I tracked down a similar-vintage matching cab to add to it in a tall array. I've been rocking that combo for years and it sounds great. In fact, I'm gonna get to play through this rig this coming Sunday for the first time in 14 or so months -- can't wait!

7. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Man, if I could find a decent LA-10 I'd be so happy! Those little 8, 10 & 12 combos are legit.

EatS1stBassist and chadds like this.
  8. sutarappa

sutarappa

Feb 26, 2007
    TX
    Great cabs. Goliath series has fantastic clarity.

9. Actually for a short time only played through a Super Redhead with headphones and the speakers off. Do not miss anything about that.:sour:

10. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    I still have my first generation Redhead (before the super) and keep it in the studio for fun. Owned lots of other SWR gear before but sold it all. Still miss them but moved on to lighter and newer. If they were still around, I bet they would have made something that would compete.

dBChad, Al Kraft and scowboy like this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Nope. Still have my SM-400 and Goliath Jr. II. Both are still going strong. :)

12. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    No, however if I ever do there is generally a decent used market for it out there.

13. There's so many awesome amps that are better than ever available currently that it's hard to yearn for old heavy stuff. At least we're spoiled for quality choices in both heads and cabs

DrMole, Bruno1950 and MAXSPINRUN like this.
  14. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I don't miss the cabs due to weight and don't miss the amps because I have two and they are readily available.
    I will be sad if replacement parts become unavailable.

berman3313 and Al Kraft like this.
  15. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Interestingly, one of the last lines they produced was their "golight" entry into the ultralight market. I acquired a 4X10 @ 4 ohm, not only light but came equipped with casters from the factory. Man, I love that cab.

DanGR and Iristone like this.
  16. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I miss it, but not that much - only because I’ve got a Golight 410 and 115, and still have my old ST-220 and SM-400 heads. So I’m still gigging and playing SWR all the time.

The Golight cabs are really something else. I still can’t find a production neo 410 that is any lighter than my Golight. And they sound like Goliaths. I’d sure love for Fender to bring those cabs back if nothing else. Mostly because I REALLY want a second 8 ohm 410.

Played a Rumble Stage 800 a while back and that stock “tube preamp” model they’ve got sounds an awful lot like an SWR. They could pull off a reissue if they wanted.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I had an SM-500 for a while in the early 2000's, but in order to get a sound I could hear in a dense mix, I had to boost the mids on the graphic, and it made noise from boosting the frequencies. Just wasn't my thing.

SJan3, Joebone, burgerdj and 3 others like this.
  18. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Yes. I used the SM 400/500 and a 4 ohm 4x10 for many years. They were the gold standard when they arrived and started a bass amp revolution. I also miss USA EDEN.

19. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Henry 8x8 = my second fave cab ever. First is Epifani UL610.

dcr

zuma, eadg98005 and Element Zero like this.
  20. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I've still got my 20th Anniversary Redhead, I like to pull it out now and again and give it a go. I'll probably never sell it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021