Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody else preorder their MTD Zephyr?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whamonkey, Mar 16, 2006.

1. I preordered one of these on some pretty sweet insider information. Some telling comments from my imbedded source at this year's NAMM:

"Of all the MTD imports this one feels dang close.....REAL CLOSE to the American series"
    "I can't believe he's offering this bass for less than a grand"
    "Everybody who touched this bass raved about it."

Some specs from Mr T himself:

Mahogony body, burl maple top-matching peghead-matching pup shells,9v Korean electronics to MTD specs, 35" scale(5'er-34"-4 banger),zero fret, Buzz Feinten tuning,maple neck,maple or rosewood board.

They are Korean made but will go through Kingston,NY for a set-up, similar I guess to what Lakland does with the Skylines.

I can't wait for June...........

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They sound like an amazing deal. :) <3 MTD

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    What's the pricing on those Zephyrs?

4. Hey Murfreesboro huh? I'm moving to Spring Hill Saturday.

Anyhow, I got mine (5'er-Rosewood board) from Bass Central in Orlando for around $975 or so, that includes tax, shipping and a case.

Man I can't wait.

P.S. So you guys know the info from NAMM came from Norm Stockton....I think he knows MTD basses pretty well and he is amped to say the least about this new line .

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Wow! I had no idea they were going for that kinda prices. Sounds like a steal.

Spring Hill, huh? PM me when you get into town

6. Sounds good! Catch you later on.......

7. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I can't wait to see the six string version later this year!!

8. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Wow. That sounds like an amazing deal.

9. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Hey,
    Is there a link anywhere to info/pictures of these basses? Consider me interested!
    -Alex

10. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    You can find pictures in the NAMM threads from this past winter NAMM show. Those are the prototypes, I believe, as these haven't even started shipping.

11. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    did somebody say six string version? :D

12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    MTD Zephyr Thread

[​IMG]

I think I'm going to get one. I didn't know they were taking pre-orders yet. Any info as to when they will be shipping??

13. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Thats an amazing deal!

14. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i asked this in a previous thread, to which no one responded, so i'll try here.

i havent had the good fortune to play an american made MTD. but i do have a Kingston 5. if the zephyrs play similarly to an American model. how would that neck compare to a Kingston?

i am, in a roundabout way, trying to figure out how an American made MTD neck compares to the Kingston necks.

whamonkey, is the the only finish that is going to be offered on the Zephyr?

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yep!! I'll be getting one of those!!

16. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I think Mike's neck is the one aspect of his basses that is consistent through out his line of products. At least in terms of shape and size. Of course there are different woods, but the shape should be the same, as far as I know...

17. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    very cool. i think i am going to have snooping around in stores to see if can find a 535 to check out.

18. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    does anybody have a more detailed pic of a zephyr?

19. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    24-fret too! dang. I might have to pick one up as well (when I win the lottery)

20. If they're really going to be priced like people say here, I might have to get one to cure my neverending MTD gas very soon.
    Is there anyone who played it at the NAMM and could compare it to the 535?