Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody else sober?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sanctum, Oct 1, 2002.

1. I've been sober for 12+ years. Just wondering if anyone else is. Not necessarily "i used to be a mess like Sanctum and got clean" sober either ... maybe you just don't drink or do drugs.

Fortunately, one of my bandmates is also totally clean, one only drinks mildly, and the drummer ..... well, he's a drummer :)

Why fortunate? I dunno, just makes life easier and a bit more fun the way we relate.

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Insightful thread for OT.

I'm sober, and always have been. I don't drink or do drugs, and alcohol is the only drug I ever plan to use at all. And that's likely when I legally can, and responsibly.

/mini-rant over

3. I've been sober all my life. I've had a little bit of alcohol, but no where near enough to make me even a little tipsy.

I like being sober. It makes it easier and more fun to laugh at the drunk people. :D

4. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    in my experience it is better to sit and watch others puke and make fools of themselves than it is to puke and make a fool of yourself.

i like when the people rant and rant about how much they really can drink and then you see how much they really can drink, and the figures are totally different. :D

I drink and indulge myself in the rasta way of life, but I do it responsibly. I have seen what happens when people do things they shouldnt or do too much of something, it is damn funny but also can have dire consequences.

just remember.....everything in moderation......

take care
    Lukas

5. I drink, and I can understand someone that doesn't want to. Some things just don't work for me. Illegal drugs (I have only tried pot) just in no way excite me.

I'll drink on the weekends, or if I get an urge during the week. 2 times a week tops. Maybe 4-8 beers on the weekend if I'm at a show. Anything more than that, then my workouts aren't as effective.

But I was the typical college party boy for about a year, but have grown tired of that. Can't go back, body can't handle it lol. I used to be able to shake it off in a half day. Now I'll be out 2 days if I overdo it, so there's another reason not to.

Age = suck.

6. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I can't suffer wine;I cant suffer beer.... I don't dislike whisky if it is smooth,but I don't drink...I'm lucky(although I'd rather drink a glass or two,instead than smoking a packet a day):) :(

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I drink, but never to get drunk - I haven't been really drunk since I was 15 or 16.
    Nowadays I only drink some beers every other weekend or so.

I don't do illegal drugs, but I used to be a heavy (chain-)smoker. Quit more than 3 weeks ago, and I haven't felt this good in ages.

8. Well I'm 18 and about to start university, so I've got the best years of my life to wreck with beer now!

Seriously though, it is fun to have a drink, but not to the point of falling over.

9. I drink, but never to excess. Thanks dad for showing me what its like to be drunk! I guess i have a small fear of drunk people. Its that total lack of control they have. I never want to be like my dad, and i always want to be in control of my evening.

Merls

10. I haven't drank for about 2 months, and I don't plan to ever again. I don't have some moral opposition to alcohol or other drugs, it's just that if I'm going to spend hours at the gym and be really careful about what I eat all the time, it doesn't seem that smart to go poison myself afterwards.

I'm all for other people getting drunk for my amusement though, and since I'm able to drive more often, my friends all drink more often. They're funny drunks.

11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I been sober for the past 16 years. It helps that I am 16....

My reason for staying clean?

I don't need to alter my perceptions of reality to have a good time.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats, JMX and good luck.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Been there, done that.........it doesn't work.

("it" referring to intoxication).

14. I drink about once every two months or so, which is most of what I did in college (I'm a senior undergrad.) I have gotten drunk 3 times in my entire life. Never drank in High school or before, although I did accidentally get drunk when I was 10 on pink champagne (I thought it was Cherry 7up) :D :p :eek:

I like the taste of the so-called "girly" drinks, and I am not going to let society tell me what to drin k and what not to drink. I HATE BEER. ABSOLUTELY HATE IT. I love wine; red, white, dry and sweet (hell; I'm Italian!), and anything else sweet. Mixed drinks are good too. One that comes to mind are Long Island Iced Teas; those are good. Also, vodka mixed with many types of juices is tasty.

I also drink with friends only. Drinking alone = alcoholism. Drinking MILDLY with friends = a social activity.

My gf has never touched an ounce of alcohol in her life, and neither of us would touch any of the illegal stuff, just cause it doesn't appeal to us.

BOTTOM LINE: I don't judge people who drink a lot, but I don't wanna do it myself.

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's cool Chris. I don't think any of us are dissing anyone who indulges. But, you are in control of it, instead of vice-versa. And the "vice-versa" is where I think some of us are coming from.

16. At this moment, yes. :(

Actually, I don't drink a whole lot. I drink to get drunk even less. I had a glass of wine a few nights ago with dinner, and had a beer a week or two before. I do plan to drink a bit at my Halloween party, but probably won't get drunk until most everyone leaves and it's down to my closest friends.

17. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I am a social drinker. I hardly ever get drunk. However, when I was in college, I drank alot and did try drugs. The worst kind. However, I knew the dangers of the drugs so I only did it three times that year. Now, I only drink on special occasions or when the mood hit me. I thought I would become an alcoholic when a special relationship ended, but it turned out that the thought of alcohol turned my stomach. I am a huge wine fan, and would never turn down a glass or two. It also helps that drinking a glass of wine a night is good for the blood:D But, I am poor and don't buy it unless it is a special occasion. Have to think of the child;) Congradulations to all who are clean and sober, for I know the struggles of alcoholism. I have seen it myself, and it is not pretty. I also love to watch the "happy" drunks. Its the "mean" drunks that scare the hell out of me.:rolleyes:

18. I'm the same as most guys here. I've been drunk enough that I can say yeah "been there, done that", I'm 20 in a couple months and I feel I've already outgrown that. I have a couple friends(becoming less so) who go drinking 3+ times per week and have been for 2 years straight now. They think they are just party animals, I think they are alcoholics...but I can't blame them considering both their fathers are drunks. Some people seem to think getting hammered is the only way to have fun. As for drugs, I have a tough time understanding what is so appealing about them.

19. Its been interesting reading this thread - I'm especially glad that many younger people have made the decision to concentrate on music and not let the partying get in the way of that. Back when I used to hit the booze and drugs pretty hard, the music got left behind, equipment got pawned, and life got messy.

I'm not anti-drug or booze for the most part - except when other bandmates put it before what we're trying to accomplish, which is what happened to my other band. Instead of "we're working hard and now we can blow off steam" it became "i'm a party animal, and oh yea, did I mention I'm a rock star wanna-be?" Heh.

Thanks for all the replies.

20. well i drink but i always stay in control of exactly how drunk i am. like a lot of my friends will just start guzzling as soon as they get there hands on something. but i always take it slowly and make sure not to overdrink, so im not hanging over a toilet for an hour before passing out and waking up with a sore throat and a horible taste in my mouth.

but man if you can be happy not drinking then more power to you. i could not drink if i wanted to but i dont want to. i like good beer and good wine and until i dont i plan on drinking. simple as that realy.

;)