1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody else struggle with theory? Anyone NOT struggle? Anyone wanna help this guy?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    You are absolutely correct.
    It's a Neapolitan chord but not a Neapolitan 6.
    (It's a good idea to learn inversions.)

Here is a "revised" version of that Neapolitan chord. With the bass on D, finally we were able to reach that "mysterious" N6.

n6sure.PNG

P.S. Just in case, that Neapolitan may contain a 7th - a minor 7th or an augmented 6th.
    And N7 could function as a tritone(?) substitution.

Neapolitan chord - Wikipedia

"Occasionally, a minor seventh or augmented sixth is added to the Neapolitan chord, which turns it into a potential secondary dominant that can allow tonicization or modulation to the ♭V/♯IV key area relative to the primary tonic. Whether the added note were notated as a minor seventh or augmented sixth largely depends on how the chord resolves."

"The Neapolitan chord can contain additional upper partials of the chord—for example, 9ths, 11ths, and 13ths."

From "Music Theory FOR The Music Professional" by Richard Sorce

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. King Kolon

King Kolon

Jul 15, 2014
    Bassist
    My Friend, l'm John Burns from Branson, Mo. I don't Know if l can be of any Help. It's good that you have the Theory Book for Bass. I might suggest you learn to play Piano. The Theory you would learn from that should about Cover Everything you'll Need. Do you know you Pennetonics Scales on Bass. Major & Minor Scales first, then Augmented & Deming she'd Scales. You Can Read all you want from that Book, but Can you apply that knowledge to your bass Fretboard.do you know 12 bar scale, major, minor. Etc. Start with that. It's Interesting!

3. Robby Robbins

Robby Robbins

Jan 28, 2019
    Wow, so much blah blah. I couldn’t read through all of the replies. I play the bass? Do you have a track? If it was posted I’m sorry. If it wasn’t, you should be.