Anybody else want to try one of these out?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zontar, Dec 6, 2015.

1. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Or has anybody done so already?

mpdd likes this.
  2. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    That's definitely intriguing (and shout-out to Ibanez for continuing to bring out some of the more interesting basses over the last couple of years). However, I don't think that's a bass guitar (or guitar bass) for me.

3. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    It would have worked for me in one band I was trying to start many years ago.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Is it just a baritone guitar? I think I'm missing something?

Mugre and TC424 like this.
  5. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    To me it looks designed more like the Fender BassVI, but with more space for your fingers.
    It's designed to be tuned E-E--most baritone players don't tune like that.

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have 30" 6ers from Rondo and Eastwood I'm enjoying the heck out of. On a quest to build a 12 string bass xii. :)

zontar likes this.
  7. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    It is simply the Ibanez version of the Fender (or Squier) Bass VI. Six strings, 30" scale and tuned E-E. I'm interested if the price is right.

8. mel0dic.bassist

mel0dic.bassist

Jul 9, 2014
    Canada
    I was looking at this as a possible option for a baritone last year. I know these have been out for some time, I'd say a few years at least. They retail at Long & MCquade for $870 CDN.

Like mentioned, it's closer to Fender's Bass VI.

I'd love to get my hands on a Dano Baritone, but they're hard to find and typically more expensive than what I care to spend (I'm an avid Dano fan, but let's be realistic about it..). I'd definitely choose this over the Bass VI just for the fixed bridge alone. I've never been a fan of tremolo systems on any type of guitar.

Has a killer, modern tone. I love mahogany bodies. I dig it.

9. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I've never seen one in person--even at L&M.

But I would like to try one.

10. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Which means if they even get to Australia they'll be around $1400 or more.....Bugger!!

I agree with all this. Unfortunately, the price is just too much for something that may end up being more of a novelty for me than a regularly used instrument.

jjmuckluckjr likes this.
  11. It's kinda cool. Listening to the video above, I've never heard those tones come out of a Fender VI. $700 Sweetwater. I actually would try one if a local store stocked it.

12. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    That is something I take into account when I buy gear--especially pedals.
    It was the main reason I didn't just buy the Mandobird the second I saw it.

Well, I am getting my money's worth from it...

13. mel0dic.bassist

mel0dic.bassist

Jul 9, 2014
    Canada
    This is the exact reason I haven't invested in something like this. Then again, I typically play by myself and "one-man-band" it in front of my PC when I record stuff, so it might not be a bad idea for me, but still, $900 is awfully high for me to spend on something like this.

14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

DO IT!

I got 3/4ths the way there and settled with a bass ix. I'm happy with it.

MattZilla and bholder like this.
  15. jjmuckluckjr

jjmuckluckjr

Mar 24, 2015
    It seems like a huge price for an instrument that is stuck between two worlds and handles neither well. Seriously, how many songs would it work on? I'll pass.

I gotta ask Bag, why you Aussies don't make your own parts basses? There has got to be some interesting hardwoods down under to for the body/ neck. Because imports do seem a tad expensive. Just curious, and greetings from Philly.

16. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    So that's 3 sets of 3? EAD? Neat!

17. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    No...

18. My local GC has one (well at least had one the other day). It's nice. Lighter then the Fender and Squier versions. If you use a pick and don't down tune it'll work for a regular bass stuff. Plus a bunchbif other stuff. The Tube has some interesting videos of it and other bass vi designs in action. Beatles and Cream used them as did the Cure.

19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    aaA ddD ggG actually.

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I'd definitely be interested in trying one. For me, the stumbling block on the F-VI was the string spacing since I'm not a big fan of using a pick. No knock on those as do. It's just not me.

I'd also be interested in hearing how it sounds on a more lyrical number where you could use more intervals, a little classical picking technique, and possibly some pedal tones. Why do these demos always have to confine themselves to that burpy and manic Jaco type riffing? It's cool and all that. But c'mon guys, it's almost 2016 for Buddha's sake! It's been done - much better - and to death already. Can we maybe give it a rest every once in a while? You can only listen to the sound of popcorn popping for so long. (Or at least I can.)

Props to Ibanez for venturing out of their comfort zone and not restricting themselves to the usual "safe" product offerings. It's nice to see someone taking chances above and beyond merely weird body shapes and obscure or exotic woods.

Does need better pickups IMO. EMG HZ's are not my favorite pickup. To my ears they always lacked subtlety and had a bit of a somewhat ugly and harsh side whenever I've played them. I know some people love them. But I could never really relate or give the love. Especially when there's so many better sounding choices out there. YMMV.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021