Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anybody else with Euphonic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CodeCOMPLETE, Feb 19, 2001.

1. CodeCOMPLETE

CodeCOMPLETE

Feb 12, 2001
    Is there anyone here with a euphonic iAMP 600?
    i got the head, im just wondering should i go with one of thier cabs?
    or try an Eden or a Epifani?

thanks

Code/Complete

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I tried the iAmp and liked it. I liked the EBS Fafner more, but I had tried 'em both with EA cabs. I actually think EA is a better cabinet maker than an amp maker. Their cabs are really top-notch stuff! I'd say go with them!

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    EA cabs are top notch stuff, but keep in mind they do suck up a lot of power. If you are after huge amounts of volume I don't think you will get it from EA cabs. But if that's not the case you'll probably be plenty happy with EA cabs.

4. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Play them all before you make up your mind. The EA has a very colorless/flat sound that will really let you hear what your bass sounds like. I played an SWR Golliath II before buying my EA VL210s, and my ear was used to hearing that mid scooped sound of the SWR. After working with the EAs to dial in my sound with my preamp, I am very satisfied with the EAs, but at first I was a little uncomfortable with them.

5. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I was looking at Euphonic amps on the net the other day actually, and they looked pretty good. What sort of sound do you get out of one, and are they worth the outlay in your opinion?

6. I never tried the EA head.

But I shopped many different cab including EBS and the Euphonic Audio 2x10 sound gorgeous, beautiful, clear, fat, crisp. I love it but it is very power hungry. I run a Crown K2 power amp in mono bridge at around 1500 watts. I had an Eden WT-800 which clipped easily.

7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I auditioned one of the newer iAMP 600's for a couple weeks. As I thought, it didn't quite have the moxie to cut my main gigs, but it's a nice box. Very flexible EQ section, very precise and the EQ presets are very intelligently designed and usable. It was very quiet, onboard tuner is a nice feature. It kind of falls between the "solid state" and "tube" sorta sounds with the EA cabs; probably would be warmer through a cab with a fatter response, like Eden, etc. The head definitely leans more warm than cold, though, IMHO.

I played it through both the VL-208 and VL-210 cabs, singly and in parallel, at home and briefly on one gig. A nice combination and if I didn't need the volume, I may have kept it. The EA cabs are very accurate and with the iAMP, I suspect it would be a very versatile combination, the flexible iAMP with the precise response from the EA cab.

8. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Thanks for the advice. I liked the look of all the EQ and the on-board tuner as well, but the lack of power you say it has is a bit of downside. Well, it wouldn't a problem now, with the sort of gigs I'm playing in, but hopefully it would be soon... :rolleyes:

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There was whole long thread about EA cabs on here recently - I use the VL208 and think it's the best sounding cab I've ever heard. They seem to use the best components and go for a "no compromise" approach to building cabs.

10. CodeCOMPLETE

CodeCOMPLETE

Feb 12, 2001
    I still havn't had a chance to try the head out that i bought (iAmp 600) because there
    are no dealers with cabs in at the moment

i noticed though that the EA cabs are pretty small

There is someone here that can custom make me a cabinet

I only play fretless 6 and 7 string basses
    what do you guys suggest i should incorporate into this "custom" cabinet?

thanks

Code/Complete

11. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Just be sure that the builder knows the craft of integrating drivers into a properly designed box in order to achieve the proper results. Anybody can build a pretty box, but building a good-sounding one is a science and often a black art.

A tight bottom end, flat middle, and smooth high end is important IMHO, which I suspect is why I like EA.