Anybody else with overall volume issues with an Ampeg BA110SP?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Graham Monette, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Hey guys, I just bought a basically new Ampeg BA110SP from the guitar shop, and man... for a 220 watt amp it plays like a 25 watt one. :eyebrow: Frick its so quiet. Absolutely maxed, I can still talk over it without even straining myself, and that with both the gain & the volume at full.
    EQ is at 5/half... so I dont know what gives. Its not either of my basses... whats going on here?

Should I take it back under warranty? :mad:

Thanks for reading this and offering any help or insight you can!
    :)

2. Tylerrr51

Tylerrr51

Nov 28, 2009
    Milford, CT
    what kind of cab do you have? have you used it with other heads?

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Is it the BA210sp? (2x10 combo with built-in effects?) I owned one *very* briefly. Hated it to no end, but sounds like you may have other issues. One thing for sure, if you have to max your volumes, you need more power. I always consider halfway to be the sweet spot. At some point, you're volume is maxed before you dime it. All you get is heat to the speakers. Take it back, and get something better.

4. ^ crappy deal..... :(... wow... I can see why somebody traded it in, when it was so new.

Yeah like what was said, its a 2x10 combo amp. Not running anything external or anything. K, I'll take it back tomorrow and see what they say about it....

(anybody else have any advice?)

5. Maybe one of the speakers leads are reversed so it's out of phase? That happened to me when I bought a used Roland JC120 from someone. It sounded so weak and quiet when the chorus/vibrato feature was turned off, and then someone suggested that maybe the speakers were out of phase, and to try just reversing the leads on one of the speakers to see if it helps. I did, and it did help, problem fixed!!!

6. ^ Hmmm... interesting. I'll pull the cover(s) off and take a look, thanks.
    When thats happened with other set ups (mainly car & home audio) the deep bass (below 70hz or so) is greatly diminished, but the higher end stuff seems fine, this seems to be universally quiet. But yeah its worth a look. Thanks!

7. Yeah it's just a guess... Worth giving it a try... You won't be able to tell by looking, you'll just have to switch them on either one of the speakers and see if it sounds better or worse.

8. Just took it back and got a full refund. Thats it for the Ampeg... .never again.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Don't trash an entire brand just because you didn't like their smallest, cheapest amp.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021