Anybody else's Skyline Joe Osborne heavy as...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rayzak, Mar 3, 2003.

1. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    HELL!!?? I absolutely love this bass. The tone, the playability, the color, everything.... but the weight:( Why do you think this is? It's ash right? My 'Ray, and P are made from ash and they're a great deal lighter. The large body maybe? A different grade of ash? It's become my favorite bass to play... sitting down! Because when I stand for any significant amount of time, my shoulder and back take a beating. Just curious about you guys.
  2. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Yup, mine too. Like you, I love everything about the bass except the weight. Mine's not super heavy but I definitely feel it when I'm standing up for more than an hour. I don't have a clue why it's this heavy, but I sure expected it to be lighter. To put it in perspective, though, it's not nearly as heavy as my old 74 jazz was.
  3. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for the reply muggsy. I didn't even realize it for awhile because I was so in love with the tone, that is, until I strapped it on for a couple hours. I am a pretty big dude;) you want I should just quit my whinin'?:D
  4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Now that you mention it, the one I had was pretty heavy. Probably a little lighter than the thumb NT 5 I had, and about the same weight as a friends musicman stingray 5. I'm guessing 10 and some change lbs.
  5. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I put my Skyline JO5 w/ J-Retro on the scale and it weighs in at 11 lbs. That's noticably heavier than my MTD 535 (9.5 lbs) and F Bass BN5 (8.5 lbs). I can tell the difference on a 3+ hour gig, the JO5 weighs down on my shoulder. The hardware might make a slight diff on the weight. As I understand it, however, the Skylines do not have any gaphite bars in the neck.

I really love the JO5 too!
  6. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I wish I had a scale. I'm willing to bet that mine is over 11 pounds. It's significantly heavier than my Fenders and 'Ray. That sound though, mmmmm.
  7. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    Darn! I was thinking about getting one but you guys are scaring me off. Lotsa weight is the ONETHNING that I can't 'hang' with.

Any body have a lighter one, say closer to 9 lbs?
  8. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Some of the great tone associated with these basses is attributed to the density of the ash body, and thus the relatively heavier weight. If you lighten up the weight of the bass, you change its tone. I've heard that some of the vintage Fenders from the 60s and 70s were as heavy as 12+ lbs.
  9. rayzak, you should check out the Fender neoprine bass strap. I got one a couple of months ago and can tell you it really takes the load of a heavy bass off your shoulder. Very comfortable
  10. You guys are a bunch of pansies. :p

Seriously, I'm of the rickbass school of thought--if you want the massive lows (which I'm told the Skyline JOs deliver in spades, and I know that '70s Js definitely do), you need a heavy body.

BTW, how would you describe the necks on the JO5s? I'd love to get a 5-string J-style at some point.
  11. Easy,

Get a Levy 2.5" wide padded leather strap, and it'll take all the weight away*.

*It'll feel like it. My Modulus and P-Bass feel like nothing now that I have those straps on it.

And maybe working out. Do some pushups. That worked for me.
  12. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I had a Skyline JO 5 for about 3 weeks and mine was really light, probably one of the lightest basses I've ever owned. Must have gotten some diseased Ash. ;)
  13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

no doubt. a 6 string thumb bass is HEAVY. 10 lbs? meh, try 15 :D

for the ultimate in heavy, try a thumb 6 and an ss2 5 in an undercover double gig bag. OW!
  14. You, sir, are a better man than I.
  15. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

The necks on the Skyline JO 5 are very easy to play. They are not very chunky or wide, but they aren't too narrow or shallow either. I think that the neck dimensions appeal to a wide range of players. The string spacing is also "just right" for my tastes; it's neither to narrow or too wide.

If you're looking for a skinny neck with narrow string spacing, this bass is not for you. The same goes if you're looking for a real wide neck for chording and tapping, this might not be the bass for you.

Hopefully, you'll have a chance to try one out in NY sometime soon. If you're looking for a 5 string Jazz Bass style instrument, this bass is an excellent value for the money you'll pay. It a real joy to play, and it's got a great jazz bass tone too.
  16. Hmm. I like chunky a lot. Are they any different in profile from regular Lakland 5-string necks? I like those.
  17. gfab333, you state that basses of the 60s and 70s were heavy, hence the great tone. Well I agree with the 70s bit, but not the 60s bit. I have owned, and played, many Fender Js and Ps from 61 to 66, and they not only had the best tone, but in general were the lightest basses I've ever played.
  18. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I meant to say "some of the tone" of these basses are attributed to the density of the body wood. The rest is probably from pickups, neck, fretboard, fret wire, etc.

I'm just going by my experience over 30 years or so. I've played a good number of Fenders, but by no means do I claim to know all about them. Now that you mention it, I'd say that more of the 70's basses had the heavy bodies. You may be right, I've played 60's Fender basses with heavy and light bodies.
  19. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I feel like the neck on my JO5 is the same as the neck on my 55-01... maybe just a different finish...

20. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    Dude, in no way is the heavy body theory a "guarrantee" of good sound. The axe with the best lows in my collection is a Reverend 5 which happens to be light at just under 9 lbs. (Honorable mention goes to my 7lb Turner Renneseance fretless 5) my old MM BOO bass was about 11 or so and it didn't have the lows of the Rev or Turner.

So I submit that the more rare, and therefore more prized instrumnets, should have the sound AND be light enought to be comfortable enought to wear 4 or 5 nights a week at 3-4 hours a night.

I envy those who don't have to pay attention to the weight, but my shoulder started acting up when I was about 27 or so and it's a constant battle. And yes, I do play for my living (stupid decision, like many I have made) and I don't want to sacrifice my health to keep in work.

BTW, how often do you gig? I've been plaing 300+ shows a year for the last 14-15 years. :bawl:

Try that and then you'll get concerned about now only how it sounds and plays, but how long can I play it. :meh: