Anybody ever have a bad house party?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Kellan:Duffy, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Kellan:Duffy

Jul 14, 2005
    A friend of mine wanted our band to play.

This kid is pretty popular, so lots of people were there.

We get our stuff in there, there's about 30 some people there, we weren't expecting much more, but where we were playing, there were no people. They decided they'd rather be social and go nowhere near.

So we just ended up having a little band practice amongst ourselves instead.

Pretty bad stuff. An experience though.
  2. dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    yea a new years party me and my uncle an dhis buddy did that but everyone was there but they were all drunk did relize it. but hey its more practice!!!
  3. Kellan:Duffy

Jul 14, 2005
    Haha, yes practice practice practice.
  4. I played at this hole in the wall bar on sinco demio. (Im not sure how to spell it) its was on a thursday night and no one was their but the "usuals" so I played with both my bands that night so only had to set up once :p but theirs including both bands less than 25 people their and they were all smashed, but it was a good time making fun of em.
  5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    ...Kids, don't do drugs
  6. lol, played at a birthday party on this girl's tennis court. About 80 people there. All good except there was no lighting on the court, but for one of those annoying disco rotating lights which had been aimed right at my eyes.

Got cold, everyone went inside, we played (noodled) for about an hour, packed up and left.

The drive was 3 hours from my place :rolleyes:
  7. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    A guitar player friend of mine and I recently drove 6 hours from where we live to Denton, TX to visit a guitar playing friend of ours that is attending the University of North Texas.

When we got there, after a 6 hour drive, he informed the two of us that we had a gig that night at a house party. We scrounge some gear together and go set up.

The guitar player friend (the one I drove with, not the one that lives in Denton) ends up being the "drummer." He has a killer ride cymbal, a snare drum, a tamborine, and a shaker egg to work with.

The guy whos house we are staying at, we use his laptop computer to play a few different tracks. One is a hypnosis self-help tape, and the other is a .txt file of all kinds of swear words that we get the computer to read over the PA with a robot voice. Think "Fitter, Happier" by Radiohead.

We get all of that ready, go eat, and then come back to find like 30 people at the house, with more arriving every moment. We go consume a few, uhh... things, and then start to play.

It was really cool.

We did this slow post-rock style instrumental jam over the computer tracks. It was similar to the repetitive, hypnotic instrumental melodies of Explosions In The Sky meeting the odd noises and ambience of Godspeed You Black Emperor with the continious building, layering, and occasional explosion of chaotic loudness associated with both.

I also got a chance to do some cool two-handed tapping stuff to make up for the fact that there were only three of us. :D

More and more people kept arriving and getting drunk. However, almost all of them piled into the living room to watch us. It was packed in there.

We improvised for about 40 minutes and then two other bands played. The other bands were pretty good, but not as good as us. It felt good to have just played, and done better than these guys who had a chance to practice.

I wasn't the only one that thought so, either. Neither of the other two bands had as many people watching them as we did. Everyone went to the back yard and talked once we were done.

The three of us then continued to party and such. It was definitely one of the funnest nights of my life.

Oh wait, you asked for a bad story... oops. :smug:
  8. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    We travel around a hour and a half. Get to the place we're going to play. We walk in unload our stuff. The other band gets there a little after us.

The other band's girlfriend gets there

We wait

We wait

We wait

Thats it.

The employee and the drummers girlfriend are the only ones that we play to. So we play for each other so we can get our payment.

Free Sandwhiches.

And they honestly were the best sandwhiches I've ever had.
  9. theirs this church run place by my house that does shows thru-sat all good times but the only payment for bands is a hotdog and soda's and water, all good fun. and ALWAYS a good turn out(250-400) specially on fri and sat,.
  10. WEZZ

Nov 16, 2003
    we played at our drummers 18th birthday party and we play rock, the people at the party was 90% rap and hip hop oriented..... :meh: ....there was about 50 people in the place when we started, by the second song there was 10 or less. the true rockers stayed and went ape s*** :bassist: after the gig we stayed at got pissed, and a few guys came up to us and told us we rocked. My reply was: thanks mate, here, have a bear :)
  11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Played a house party. Show up, and they have an above ground pool with full deck filling most of the back yard.

We had to setup around the pool, with the pool towering over us. Sound was terrible, I couldn't hear the singer. His amp pointed out into the audience and was perpendicular to me.

I also couldn't see the audience. It was like playing a practice, only with really bad accoustics :(
  12. Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    So did the doctors finally manage to put all his blood back in?
  13. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    oo-er, we're booked for my mum's 50th in 2 weeks time!

It's our first gig as a band. We play covers, mainly old pop stuff but rock it up quite a lot. I'm really not sure how the gig's going to go in regards to the sound outdoors, the weather (mother Britain) and most of all the crowd (a hearty mix of my mother's mates, their families, and a couple of my uni friends who are coming for the beer, bbq and bouncy castle..oh and to see my band).

Argh, my mind's polluted with catastrophy now...check this thread again sometime soon for an update ;)
  14. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Indeed! That's no way to treat your fan base :)
  15. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Played at a pig roast last summer. We threw together a band about 3 weeks beforehand.

We pulled in around 7.30 and people are already smashed, stumbling around shirtless and dirty. They had this 80 pound Staffordshire Terrier that had a penchant for attacking car wheels on a thick horserope lead.

Anyway, we play until 2 am or so, tear down, then go party until 6-7am.

I crashed in my van until around 1pm, dusted myself off and headed back to the "stage" area. As I'm getting closer I can hear "Sweet Child O' Mine" just blaring.

This is a Sunday, already 80 degrees out, 1 pm.

I walk up to the garage we played/partied in and the pig meat, salads, etc are still out on these big metal tables. Flies all over the place, some people picking at the "food".

I turn the corner and there is this 1985 or so Astro Van with the tail-door open and GnR blaring away. 10 feet away is this 45 year old dude, dressed all in black, beer in hand...out cold in a lawn chair. Nice job, pal.

And the van has all this red ductape around it. Apparently, the owner was crashed in there and his buddies decided to ductape the doors and windows closed. The guy woke up having to pee like a racehorse and couldn't get out of the van. And no one would let him out, either. He ended up peeing in his van. LOL!

Man, what freakshow that night/next day was.

Reminded me of the other pig roast we went to many moons back where the owner cut the snout off the huge cooking pig and chucked it to his Dobermans. I guess the dogs got bored of it and someone picked it up and put it on a picnic table.

I watched as my hammered cousin strode by, grabbed the snout and started gnawing on it. Ack!!!

His ride was passed out in his pickup truck, with the windows down a 1/2 inch. The inside windsheild was a blanket of flies and the guy is snoring away, mouth open, 6 pm on a hot friggin' day. LOL!

We left shortly therafter.

Good times... :eyebrow:
  16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    bad house party? yeah.

this girl just wanted to have a party and wanted some bands to play. so we agreed. she wanted us to play last. again, we agreed.

so of course teenagers are stupid and there is alcohol there.

the first band is done, we set up and start playing.

after two songs into our set, about 4 cop cars show up.

naturally, they shut the party down and bust a bunch of kids for alcohol. luckily none of us were drinking that night.

moral of the story? if there is alcohol there, play first and get the hell out of there.
  17. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Cinco de mayo...?
  18. BluezBassist

Aug 5, 2004
    My band was booked for a private birthday party...About 60 guests were there, but we were set up in a large shop, metal walls and a concrete floor. It was a huge echo chamber and very loud...A few songs into the set we realized that it was going to be a long night when the crowd went from 60 to about 4 and then the only people we seen were coming in to mix drinks and then get out...We were all pretty disappointed but played on and did 3 sets just for ourselves. Only after we finished were we made aware that the whole crowd was just outside the doors singing along and dancing and having a great time. We just couldn't see them. What I thought was an all around bad night turned out to be one of our better gigs and we got nothing but compliments...We're even going back in a month or so. (different venue) Just goes to prove that people are listening, even when you think they aren't....
  19. My first gig last year was at the drummers 20th party. We played in the large lounge room of his share house to his friends and random people. So it's all setup, small p.a. and lights and it looks cool. Someone announced the band so we get up to play and find most people sitting on the floor like it's year 2 in primary school. After a couple of songs most people went into the next room to smoke weed while a few remained near the doorway watching. The good thing was that for the last couple of songs some people caught on and started having a good time, dancing etc so it wasn't all bad.
  20. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Oh yeah.

When I was in highschool, we went to a house party. The girl that lived there kinda hosted the party - rich people and all. There was probably 100 people there. The girl who lived there wanted to sleep with me - so I let her. Just in time for her mom and dad to come home from out of town early to find her riding me.

Not good at all.