Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody ever heard of this?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tuBass, Feb 24, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I just put on a new set of strings (DR long necks, replacing SR2000) I didn't notice a problem when I first but them on, but a couple of days later I was trying some high chords, and I was getting some incredibly bad notes. When I play any note, even one note at a time I get a half-step clash. I have a 24 fret neck, and the high C# on the d string came out as a C and a C#. anything in the second octave shows signs of the problem, but the bigger the string, tand the higer I play, the worse the problem. I don't think its a set up problem, because it even happens on the highest fret.
    Could the strings be bad? I put the old set back on, and every thing sounds fine. I really wish these string would work, I paid almost $40 for them.

Mark

2. thats is so messed.

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    were the new string gauges the same as the old set?

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Almost exactly, but the old set had a bigger taper on the bridge end.

5. it doesnt make sense .

6. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    how big a difference in the taper size? It could be sitting on the bridge saddles differently than the old set. That might effect the action. I have had to adjust briges to compensate for taper differences before. Especially for the heavier strings. (B E A)

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    This difference is almost nothing on the D string, and I did try adjusting the bridge, and it made no difference. Also, I went from a set with no taper top a set with an extream taper on the large strings, and I never had to touch the D string until I put on the long necks, and even that was unnessesary. I just don't get it.

8. Is the bass intoned?

Are the strings shorter than your last strings? they might have stretched while on the bass.

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    The old strings are the ones that still play great. They started to lose that "zing" but they were still good, a I was just interested in trying the DR strings.
    If you are asking if the bass is intonated, yes it is, very well. Even if it wasn't, I can't see why the strings would play two different notes on all of the highest frets, including the last fret.

10. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    dude....weird...maybe the strings are hitting the wrong frets?

11. I had a similar problem, in the end I think that the neck was warped. But certain brands of strings seemed to magnify the problem. I think that most of the string companies have more of a problem with consistancy than they would like to admit. I have also had a problem with different strings (not just different brands) buzzing on different frets on the neck as well.

12. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    that was my first thought too, but that's why I specifically checked to see if it was doing it on the last fret too. It was.

13. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    This has been my experience with all the taperwound strings I have tried. Most people say that they intonate better but to my ears they do not. In the higher registers, especially on the lower strings, they always sounded as if there was two tones. How can a string that is not equal in mass per unit length be intonated properly? If you want to experience DR strings, try the stainless steel Lo-Riders. By the way, the Dean Markley SR2000 "Will Lee" set gave me hell trying to get proper intonation. I really wish I could've gotten these to work because the sound of the lower registers was really inspiring. Labella Super Steps didn't fare much better. I wanted to try the DR Long Necks but I figured I'd be wasting my money. I had already come to the conclusion that taperwound or exposed core sets will never intonate properly because of the change in mass per unit length.

14. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    It looks like DR is going to help me out by making sure I can exchange the set. I'll post if the second set is different than the first.

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    second set was the same. took the D string off, put the new one on, and it make a sound when I push down on the 24th fret like a d and a c# are playing at the same time. I adjusted the bridge every way I know how, and nothing worked.

very strange, and dissapointing.

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I imagine it's a combination of your technique and the strings (and the setup of the bass?). As I'm sure you realise - every time you fret a note, you're dividing the string length in two, and if you pluck either side of your fretting finger, you'll get two different notes. Theoretically, at the 12th fret they're the same, but I'm not sure that they always are.

What can happen (especially if you're whacking the string down quite hard/fast against the fret with your fretting hand) - is that when you fret the note, both sides of the string are caused to vibrate, and you get both notes at once.

It's not usually a real problem though, I've found - but I try to be quite light with my left hand (and I'm playing a fretless which helps).

17. 5bass

5bass

Mar 4, 2003
    Hawaii
    I had the same problem. Had put a new set of tapers on, and had a bad ghosting problem in the upper registers. Felt it was time to have the neck checked, so took it in and had it set up. Still had the same problem though when I got it back, and by accident, put the old full wound strings on and the ghosting disappeared! Turns out the mono-rail bridges on my 36" scale 5-string don't like tapers. Haven't had the problem since I've exclusively used full wounds. I just remembered the tapers were DR Marcus Miller's. I'm thinking, as someone else mentioned, that the string is moving around in the saddle too much, as was the case with me.
    I'm currently using a set of Lakland medium gauge lites, and although the b-string is tapered, the rest aren't, I don't have any problems with the b-string ghosting, nor the others. You just may not be able to use those strings on your bass, but fortunately there are dozens to try. Good Luck!

18. Do you notice a big difference in string tension versus your old strings, and do you tune conventionally (BEADG)?

It sounds like you've already tried raising the action.

Moley's diagnosis makes sense to me. To test it, use a string mute (sock or hair tie) on the nut side of where you are fretting.

If this cures the ghosted notes, I would agree with Moley that the issue is a mix of your action/bridge saddle characteristics, string tension, and fretting technique. But that's just a wild-a$$ guess - but it IS supported by the physics of the problem.

19. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    what's strange is, the strings that work OK are the SR2000, which are much more tapered than the DR long necks (marcus strings aren't tapered). Full wound strings work great, and full tapered work OK, but in between don't work at all? The problem is very strange. I may try to find a set that just has a tapered B. I've tried the labella "hard rockin", but wasn't too impressed with the tone.

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've seen this kind of thing happen when your intonation is out.

i had problems with dr strings back in the day when i tried them - they sounded very indistinct, note wise, in the higher registers, very warbly.

i've never had problems intonating sr2000's in the past 5 or 6 years that i've been playing them. try re-intonating the instrument. or, better yet, go get some sr2000s :).