1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody ever run 3 1x12's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigshiny, Jul 6, 2012.

1. bigshiny

bigshiny Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    I currently have two GK neo 112 series II. Dont really have the cash for a 2x12 in the same brand, nor do I feel like hauling around a conventional 2x12 with ceramics. Figured 3 could be very useful as far as loud gigs go. Or just to have the that much air available to move. Also, on a lot of gigs, 2 will do. So leave one at home or rehearsal space and have two available for gigs/work. I have an amp that does 2ohms, so that isn't an issue. Don't hear much about guys running three of them. Usually a pair of 2z12's is more often seen.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I run a 4 ohm 2x12 and sometimes add an 8 ohm 1x12 when needed. So long as the power distribution is even, and the impedance is all kosher, it's very capable.

3. Stack em vertically and let er rip.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I know some guys on here run three, but their amps are capable of running 2 ohms comfortably.

One big hurdle you'll find is that most single 12's are 8 ohms, and most amps can run 4 ohms.

5. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I think 3x112's stacked would be killer too!! Just need to make sure your amp can handle the 2.67 ohm load.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    ...and that your amp can deliver sufficient power at 2.67 ohms. :meh:

MM

7. MF_Maher

MF_Maher Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Central VA
    This doesn't quite answer the OP's question, but my main gig rig is an Eden WT-550 into two 112XLTs. Love it--the sound and the portability.

On bigger stages I also link up my Bag End 15" for the guitarist on the other side of the stage. Love the sound of all three together, but that WT-550 can handle the 2 ohm load...

8. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    I know that PACMAN on here runs 3 Aggie GS 112s with an EA head.

9. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    I've run three 112's a few times and think it works great, provided your amp can handle the load.

10. bigshiny

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    I have an EA iAMP 800. So I think I'm golden. Was going to add another Gk neo 112 II. They would all be identical. I have used the vertical route, and horizontal. Both have their advantages.

11. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    With three, I prefer horizontal.

12. bigshiny

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    That's what I was thinking. I was also actually thinking of maybe 4 of them someday. Sure would have alot of options.

13. bigshiny

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    I know Ben Kenney uses something similar with his rig. Two Mesa 1x12 walkabout combos with ext cabs. With my Vt pedal I bet that would cover a lot of ground.

14. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    attachment.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Dhsierra1 and I both run 800rb's. He runs 315's with his for loud gigs. I run 212's with mine but I've seriously thought about doing a 3rd 12 for playing outdoors. Currently I just crank it up and it does a nice job. The 3rd one would mean I wouldn't have to run the amp quite so hard but those amps sound good the louder you go.

Basically, if the amp can handle the impedance, nothing at all wrong with running more cabs.

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    'deed I do!

[​IMG]

And it is tone nirvana! (not the band, the place :D )

17. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Those cabs are fairly tall if you run them vertically, so maybe two vertical next to each other then one horizontal (either under or on top)? Or just 3 horizontal.

18. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic

Looks like nobody bothered to read that.

19. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    I'd love three 4-ohm 1x12" cabs with my Fender 400PS.

20. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Now all we need is that Valkerie amp to drive them... :bag: