Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody ever sand the neck of their Fender?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by corinpills, Feb 17, 2006.

1. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Just the finish, of course. I have the Fender signature Noel Redding Jazz bass and I like it a lot (although I'm more of a P bass guy if we're talking Fenders and, in fact, I haven't played a solid body bass since I was a teenager- but I digress). Would it be crazy to sand the finish off the neck? I just love the feel of a Fender neck that's been rubbed smooth by years of playing. I know it would affect the collectability, but how collectable is it anyway, really?

Anybody ever do this?

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i did this one my mim p-bass to make it feel more like my ray. now that i am back to an mia p, i kinda wish i had not.

3. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun
    I sanded the back of my MIJ-Jazz neck, then applied tung oil, rubbed, etc. I like it much better.

Modifications generally lower the resale value of old Fenders, especially one that's a bit more permanent than a hardware switch out. For a recent MIM, you might be able to get more with hardware upgrades on a resale. I'm pretty sure it's too early to estimate collectibility with that version... and who knows, the Squire JV series from the 80s are somewhat collectable.

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I lightly sanded the neck of my SX a while ago. I like the feel much better than the sticky gloss finish, but I plan on going even farther and refinishing with Tung Oil to get the full "Satin" feel.