Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody ever see this problem on a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I just got done installing my new Moses neck on a warmoth body. I look down the neck from the body side and the radius is much flatter on the G/D string side as opposed to the E/A string side. The E/A side appears to be correct in comparison to my other Moses neck, but the G/D is close to being flattened out. Could this possibly have been on purpose? The radius on all my other necks are normal looking. But this one looks screwy. I'll post a pic later.
    any ideas?

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sounds like an asymetrical neck. There are a few companies that offer this, not quite sure on which ones they are right off hand, though. But this sounds to me like what you have.

But I could be wrong. :)

3. i've heard of radii being compound (flatter towards the bridge, rounder towards the nut)...and I've heard of the back of the neck being asymmetrical. But not an asymmetrical fingerboard????? (You are talking fingerboard, I assume) That's strange.

Not only strange, but I'd HATE to have to be the one to have to level the darn thing.

4. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I know what you mean Ryan, but it ain't that. The fretboard is actually flatter on the treble side, basically it looks like the radius wasn't cut correctly. It should have neen 7.25". It looks like 14-16" on the treble side and <9" on the bass side (E and A strings).

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe because the E and A strings are larger.. then they have more room to travel..anddd since the D and G strings are smaller the fingerboard is closer because teh string is skinnier..

idk.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Maybe it's like a tapered fingerboard on an upright. Very round under the E string on an upright, and flatter under the G string side. Let's you get a little more strenght on the E string wtih some lateral motion too.

7. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I don't know either. It's baffling really. I ordered it with a 7.25" radius, which is what his standard boards are. That's a theory though. I guess I'll string it up anyway.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The fact that you orderd 7.25 confuses me as to howit could end up as it is.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

OH, I misread your post. :oops: I was thinking the back of the neck, not the fretboard. :meh: Oops.

10. I wouldn't (string it up). I'd send it back and have it fixed. You ordered a 7.25" radius board, that's what you should get.

11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I have read enough through this forums to make a "Moses necks, 1001 problems" Enciclopedia.

I also belive that you should send it back to Moses and get the 7.25 r u asked.