1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody ever sell a bass they DIDN'T like on TB?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lfmn16, Oct 12, 2013.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I'm looking for an inexpensive 5 string so I've been perusing the ads. It seems like every ad has something along the lines of, "This is the best bass I've ever played." It makes me wonder why so many people are practically giving away these basses that are so good they sound like angels singing when you play them.

Just once I'd like to see an ad like, "I hate this bass and I curse the day I bought it. I got screwed and I'm trying to pass that screwing on to you. It sounds like crap, looks like it was run over by an 18 wheeler, strings are 3" off the neck, can't be set up right, yet I'm still asking top dollar!" :D

Just grousing.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have a total piece of crap I will sell you for about $10K. PM me.

3. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    lol

4. I've only sold a few basses because they weren't for me. I didn't try to make money on anything except my Kubicki because a collector wanted it.

I sold some Fender Urge I basses because my boutiques play better and the active preamp was a tad outdated. I sold a Peavey Millennium 4J because my right hand didn't like how the pickups were spaced apart.

I was kinda forced to try to sell some Peavey Cirrus basses I wasn't using due to the threat of layoffs. Thankfully, the layoffs didn't happen and I managed to keep one of them. I still miss my fretless 5, which wouldn't have been for sale if it were a 6 string.

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Sometimes you outgrow basses. Or your tastes change. Doesn't mean it's a bad bass. I have two 5 string basses that aren't being played right now because i've decided I like something with tighter string spacing. The spacing of both are considered "normal", but I like it tighter. If I ever sell them, somebody is going to have a great bass

6. I have bought and resold around 10 basses on here (well, I still have a couple).I did have $5/package flat shipping through my employer so I was essentially paying very little to try a bunch of different basses out.

Some had necks that were too chunky, some were too similar to another bass I had, some I loved and so I upgrade (ie. sold a squier P to buy an American one..). I had a 6 string which was just too much for me.. and had and acoustic bass guitar which I really liked though didn't really fit with the bands I was playing in at the time.

But I haven't had a single bad transaction on here. All of the basses were in great working order with usable tones, even though some of them weren't for me. and I definitely feel lucky to have been able to take extended test drives on them all.

7. Agreed. There is a difference between tastes changing and something being bad, and we aren't even getting into issues like people who need money for debts or to deal with GAS attacks.

In all honesty, if I could I would take back every single piece of bass equipment that I've ever owned and just keep it all. But with a limited budget, you can only own so many pieces of gear at any given point in time.

So, yeah, things for sale often are awesome. :D

8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I definitely know where the OP is coming from. Sometimes it DOES sound disingenuous. But there really are times when people sell excellent basses due to various circumstances.

For example, I sold a beautiful Sunset Orange Transparent Jazz one time because I had already ordered a new Rickenbacker. I had to sell it to offset the cost of the Ric. Things like that happen quite frequently in a GAS-infested environment like TalkBass! ;)

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Well, the superlative "best bass I ever played" is quite obviously a silly selling point. If it's the best you've ever played, unless you're getting out of playing, this indicates that you're replacing it with one that's not as good. And that'd be silly. But musicians are frequently silly and illogical.

It's just silly unthought through marketing. Of course you wouldn't say it's the worst you ever played. But telling a prospective buyer that it's a great instrument is what you're trying to do.

I've never sold a bass through TB, but I've sold really good stuff for various reasons. I had a Geddy Lee Jazz bass, an instrument many people salivate over. The neck was impossibly skinny and the sound was too twangy for me- if the inherent sound of the bass had been warmer I could have adapted to the neck, but it wasn't worth it to me so I traded it. I had a wonderful Lakland Classic 494 in Burgundy Mist. Beautiful to look at, it felt perfect to me, and sounded just awesome. It went away though, because I had a Deluxe 494 that was even a better bass and I had a line on a fretless Deluxe 494.

John