Anybody ever try or use a soft rack bag?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jan 23, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Basss brings up a good point about my MicroRack(tm) project - maybe a rack bag would be a better bet.

MF carries Warwick's RockBag in a 12" depth, but has no technical info. I can't find anything on Warwick's site, either. They also carry Odyssey rack bags - including a five space model with 11 3/4" behind the rail, which depth would work a lot better for my project than the XRack:

Odyssey has a slide-out carpeted plywood rack that fits in the padded nylon bag - it seems as if it would provide a lot of protection for the gear. The penalty is weight... Also, a 5u Odyssey bag would allow me to add a power conditioner to the rack.

Has anyone seen or used either product? Comments?
  2. Flatbass11

Flatbass11 Supporting Member

May 29, 2001
    Medford, MA
    I have a 4 space rack bag that held up fine for a few years.

I had a GK 800 and 2 other pieces mounted inside and had no problem with the weight. However, the zipper broke and I'm too lazy to get it repaired. I still use it at home only. I'm currently looking for a 2 space bag myself.
  3. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I use a four space rack bag. It's great for what it is. I have an F1-X, DPC 1000, Furman PL tuner and two Nady wireless units in this rack. Total weight= 30 lbs. Just what I wanted/needed. If you're doing car based gigging, a rack bag should be fine.
  4. Geez, are we on the same wave length or what? I've got my DCM1000 in a 3 space, 14" deep bag that I originally bought for my Studio 220. Made by Modern Case Co. for , it's a lighter weight bag than the 2 you mention. Works fine, it definitely feels less safe than a full size hard rack, but it totes much easier. I treat it like I do a gig bag for my bass and don't throw it around. I wouldn' want to put anything much heavier than the DCM in one.

That being said, I was following your experience with the SKB shallow X rack closely because I'm thinking about getting one for the DCM and putting the 220 (at only 13lbs) back in the bag. I use the 220 by itself for small gigs and as a preamp for the DCM at medium venues where I'm not going into the PA. I'm toting it a big briefcase thing now. I dunno, maybe the shallow bag is the way to go.

Keep us updated.
  5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'll try to post some pix of the DCM1000 / XRack combo. I haven't knocked out the idea of keeping it yet...

That Sweetwater bag looks good!
  6. I have a 4 space rack bag made by a company called RocSak (or something similar).

Rack is full depth, not shallow. It is plywood inside a padded nylon bag. Zippers on front and back, a gear pocket on front/top. Two handles that velcro together AND a shoulder strap.

Picked it up on E-Bay brand new from a music store for $40. I have had it for a year now, and no problems.
  7. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001

I was just wondering what you decided to mount your DCM1000 in? I'm interested because I have a DCM600 coming soon and I need something to put it in. I'm trying to go as light and small as I possibly can. Did your DCM1000 fit in the Xrack ok?
  8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've been using a ProTech 4 space rack bag for several years now. I've got my WT-800 with a Korg DTR-1. It's works out great when I'm just using my Bag End S15. Bag End in one hand and the Amp in the other for balance.

I've also got a ProTech 6 space for the PLX/Navigator/Korg/Furman. I don't take that setup out that much so I can't vouch for the longevity of that one. When I do move that one it's on top of my 4x10 cab that's on casters. It looks less industrial than an ATA and it doesn't look like an Igloo ice chest, either.

I got the ProTechs through American Musical Supply at a fairly nice price.
  9. I was using a 2U Warwick Rockbag with my Ampeg a while ago...

- too heavy
    - padding ripped too easily
    - looked stupid

A hard standard SKB rack I find is much better (IME).
  10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm still waiting for my Odyssey bag to come in - it's been on backorder. The Carvin j-u-s-t fits the XRack, but there is no clearance to spare, and you can't close the back panel without modifying it first. I had to mount the amp in the middle two spaces of a 4u rack to give clearance for the power cord!!! Too tight for me...