1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

anybody ever use this right hand technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Metal_prophet83, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Metal_prophet83

Metal_prophet83

Sep 13, 2017
    this one finger thing seems to come more natural to me. anybody else prefer this?

son_of_mogh likes this.
  2. MrBassManG

MrBassManG

Jun 5, 2012
    I can't play anything like that guy, but if I'm trying something new or complicated I often find myself picking with one finger.

3. I do that with four fingers basically. Gives you crazy good endurance, great strength with time of course, and most important of all crazy speed.

Metal_prophet83 likes this.
  4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Or you could use a pick ... just sayin' ...

Bassperson26 and ZonieBass like this.
  5. Metal_prophet83

Metal_prophet83

Sep 13, 2017
    I agree. I'm plenty capable of a pick. I am not plenty capable of playing fingerstyle and I wanna be able to do both

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Similar to what Geddy or Laboriel did years before, with better taste.

7. Don't like picks. I feel like I have way more control and many more techniques/ sounds at the flip of an angle on my hand. Makes sense for me to get really good at fingerstyle for this genre of music where you can go from fingerstyle to slap to tapping all In a few riffs.

Of course go with whatever feels more natural

physics and Metal_prophet83 like this.
  8. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Mesa Engineering! Warwick-G&L-Source Audio Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    NoCal
  9. Metal_prophet83

Metal_prophet83

Sep 13, 2017
    I watched that one too. so it's definetly not unheard of. I got home and was messing with it and three finger. I see advantages to both. as of now. I'm working on both. I'll see where i end up.

I feel like fingerstyle gives me more freedom. definetly makes string skipping easier (for me) and that's became a large part of my playing.

10. Juststanley

Juststanley

Aug 11, 2014
    Tejas
    Pfffttt

11. rico bass

rico bass

Mar 29, 2013
    NY
    Jack Bruce

12. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    I usually play "half" of what the guitars are playing. Keeps the foundation. When matching the guitar on fast picking passages you just cancel yourself out in the mix.

Metal_prophet83 likes this.
  13. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Found the cork sniffer

gebass6 and Metal_prophet83 like this.
  14. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    I started to pick up the flamenco style when Geddy started doing it in the early 90's and I wanted to cover Rush songs where he uses this technique... such as "Animate", Alien Shore", "Virtuality", "Limbo", "Secret Touch" and "Far Cry". I mostly do it with my index & middle fingers together but sometimes I use just my index.

It is now a staple of my style and I use it regularly on originals and sometimes on covers that require lots of speed and endurance on single-pitch 16th-note runs (such as on Yes's "Roundabout" in the fast 16ths part late in the song). I also use it when a strumming technique is called for, such as on Tool's "Sober".

This technique doesn't work well for me on fast, intricate passages because things quickly get muddy. The exception is brief fills where I can use hammer-ons and pull-offs to help maintain articulation.

The biggest challenge to learning this style is making your downstroke sound like your upstroke so you have a nice, consistent presentation. This can be a real problem if you keep your fingernails very short.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017