Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ANYBODY EVER WIRE EMGs INTO A JAZZ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JMN357, Mar 4, 2005.

1. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    Anoyone out there install EMGs (the J-set ones) into their jazz basses? If so tell me how it went, what you did, etc. and how easy it was.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes, it's very easy. The EMG pickups come with instructions, and pre wired harnesses these days. It was very simple. But I've done plenty of mods before, so that helped. But putting in EMG pickups into a Jazz bass is definitely on the easier end of the mod scale.
    Not sure what you are looking to find out?

3. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    Its more so a question of the soldering, if there is any, I'm alright at it, i've fixed switched on my friends Tele amd helped him fix the PUs on his old Ibanez, but I just wanted to know what you have to do on the EMG PUs. Also EMG says u put them in level and close to the strings, did u find that happened? :bassist:

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, there is soldering. You need to solder the hot and cold wires to the pots, as the diagrams show.
    I put them pretty close to the strings, iirc

5. just follow the wiring diagram for soldering in the pickups, it should only 2 wires if passive, 3 wires for active pickups, and the diagram shows where everything goes. what i do so see how high to set my pickups is push down the E string on the last fret, and then adjust that side of the pickup just below the string so that it wont touch when your playing...then repeat for the G string... do the same for the other pickup, the response of the pickups should be about the same, and the strings shouldnt hit the pickups when you play hard. hope that helps

6. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    Thanks Guys that was a help. can't wait for thoose EMGs to come in so I can put them in, I wasnt going to go to Guitar Center and pay $70 to have them put them in, Thanks!!! :bassist: :)