1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody familiar with Hipshot Bridges

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mjl422, Feb 3, 2004.

1. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
  2. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    my peavey millennium 5 has one on it. it has holes in it, otherwise it wouldnt be string thru body. your bass has to have holes in the body for the strings though. i guess you could drill them if you wanted, but you might as well just run the strings through the bridge. there isnt that big of a difference.

edit: that picture doenst look like it has holes already in it, but im pretty sure that it comes with them. my bridge came on my bass from the factory, so im not too sure about that tho.

3. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    I guess they have the wrong picture posted. I bought a hipshot bridge a while ago (planning to do a string through mod on my bass) but, the bridge didn't have holes in it. I ended up stringing it the regular way. I thought I must've read the website wrong until I saw it again today.

Thanks

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Used to own some basses with Hipshot string-throughs. The thing is;

> the through-body holes in your bass body must align perfectly with the holes with the through-body holes at the rear of the bridge. Like your headstock, the strings should be "straight pull", not angled.

> secondly, the holes in the bass body should have grommets/sleeves so that your strings don't chew up your bass's body.....(e.g., from the string movement caused by tuning).

I haven't detected much of a difference with through body tuning except when it comes to "string feel." Some basses actually sound/feel better when just strung through the bridge, IMO. Fr'instance, I have a Lakland Skyline and I found I like it best when only the B and the E string are strung through the body.

5. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    Yeah, I wanted to string my B & E strings through the bridge because the guage strings I was using felt kind of tight but, now I switched to a softer guage string so it's cool.

I was developing some wrist problems but, the softer guage solved that.