Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody familiar with the Fret2Fret site?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mlstephens, Jun 7, 2005.

1. mlstephens

mlstephens

Oct 30, 2004
    I was surfing for bass information as usual when I came upon this site fret2fret.com. This individual Mike Slaiter an instructor etc. claims to have a system for memorizing all the notes on the bass neck in under 60 minutes. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this site/person/this technique?

Just curious as usual.... :bassist: :help:

2. mlstephens

mlstephens

Oct 30, 2004
    ??? what did you mean by that? Are you familiar with the product or not.

3. if you clicked the link you will see what ppl think of it, it was discused in a thread yesterday the thread that i linked to you

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    From the site:

"...my seven year old son mastered it in only 45 minutes! And the amazing thing is he doesn't even play the guitar! "

"If you've ever wanted to pick up a guitar at a party and blow your friends away...
    ...become very popular with everyone, especially the opposite sex!
    ...play any chord in any shape anywhere on the guitar neck in the speed of light"

"I can show you a way of mastering the most notoriously difficult Bass guitar skill ever known to man, the very same skill Pro's use to play tear inducing riffs and the ability to jam like they were born riding a guitar in less than 60 minutes guaranteed..."

Eeeeeeeeeh...

5. Seems like a gimmick to me. I think you'd be better off learning in the traditional ways. If you've only got 60 minutes to spend on learning your instrument, what kind of musician are you going to become? However if all you want to do is pluck out a few tunes to impress the girls, then this might be what you're looking for.

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I'm familiar with the product/service. It just a filthy con, designed to screw you out of your hard earned cash.

7. Desi

Desi

Jan 11, 2005
    The only product designed to help you become a better player is one called "Practice". And the best part is that it's absolutely free, well, in the financial sense, you will have to fork in a small deposit of the curency known as "Time".

8. TRB6PII

TRB6PII

Jul 28, 2005
    With regard to the Fret2Fret product, you only have to look at the obviously fake names that endorse the product. (Archie Hayes in Middlesex I mean !! or even Ritchie Burns Glasgow !!) :rollno:

Like someone said what works is the 3 P's, Practice, Practice and Practice. But if you really want to try a bit of software, I use one called the Absolute Fretboard Trainer Professional. I found it very useful, especially if you work either one fret or one string at a time until you performance monitor is all green. Whatever you do, don't substitute practice for sitting at a computer screen. Learn the modes, chords, and practice them religiously. And another thing I have found useful, don't mess around when you practice or let yourself get sidetracked, play when you play and practice when you practice. The rest is easy.....I wish

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's a joke, a simple 7-page non-animated silent Flash file.

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    The truest thing anyone ever said to me about learning to be a musician was this: "There are NO shortcuts".

11. Crazyy_chick

Crazyy_chick

Apr 19, 2006
    O my god, I actually believed that **** fret2fret! I gave it my credit-card number! And now I dont know what to do because it is a frickin rip of!!!! Can someone any way have any ideas to help me?
    :crying:

12. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Actually, I got it, it works. Quite simple, but make up your own story for the notes. It's just a way to help you find the notes on the fretboard though, once through wont burn it into your head and make you instantly know what note each of your fingers are on if you happen to be playing a scale.

But, using it you could stop and find the note in about second.

I'd tell you, but I think it's worth the money. Especially if you are looking for an easy way to memorize the notes.

13. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Don't take my word for it. just my opinion.

I've tried alot things that seemed like a rip off to me, mainly because I didn't get anything out of these gmicks.

You just have to dive in a try it. If it works - great. If it doesn't - right it off, and try something else.

14. madbass

madbass

May 19, 2006
  15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If a shortcut was that easy, it would just be the way.

16. darkenrahl

darkenrahl

Nov 29, 2006
    Informative discussion by happy and unhappy users of the software.

http://www.bluepower.com/2005/07/hello-fret2fretcomare-you-there.html

Look for the download link (http://fret2fret.com/download14jts.html) at the bottom of the above page and try it FOC.

:meh:

17. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
  18. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
  19. kumasan

kumasan

Sep 14, 2007
    it really is a scam, I thought I give it a try since there was a 30-day monet back guarranty, no questions asked. Well, to my suprise it's a 10 min flash, not even a movie telling you a boring story how (A)rnold Schwartzenegger bites (B)B.King and on goes the story describing each string of the guitar or bass. Not to mention the tabbs or freebies, absolute useless if you don't have a prog for it.
    My attempts to get my money back failed, no possibillity of contacting Mike Slaiter mslaitor@aol.com or problems@fret2fret.com don't go through. after 3 days the mailor demon comes back and says it gave up and the other cool thing paypal doesn't act on it either, since they are siding with the guy that gives them money. but fraud is fraud
    the website should be called fraud2fraud
    f__k you MIKE