1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody fancy playing out of key?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Electricblue, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
  2. Souperman08

Souperman08

Sep 26, 2010
    Is there a specific where you can hear the bass out of tune? It sounds like a bunch of noise to me, but I looked up the studio recording and that sounds like a bunch of noise to me too.

3. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    The bass is tuned/played a fret lower that what it should be. Listen to it in relation to the synths, guitar etc.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've deliberately played a half step out at rehearsals just for shizzles and giggles to see if anybody else noticed...they didn't.

5. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    wow...

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    That's the same thing I thought.Who could hear anything? It sounded like noise...really bad IMO..sorry.

7. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I second that.

8. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    the bass sounds out of tune but it could be on purpose. sounds like a heavy chorus. (i know thats not what it is- but im just saying.)

i know he diddnt, but you COULD be doing that for the effect of constant dissonance.

9. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I detune my E string to D for one song in our first set (She sells sanctuary - The Cult) and forgot to tune it back up for the next song (Steal your fire - Gun) :eek:

"Steal your fire" begins with a big banging 'A' at the same time as a big kick drum and cymbal crash after the second time around the guitar intro....Let me tell you that playing 'G' against it gets you a few glares from the band and a few quizzical looks from the audience...

It's also disconcerting having to transpose just the "E" string for the rest of the song

10. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    I once knew a guy who only played fret-less and was very deep into microtones. He had a style that was really wonderful. He would slide from note to note; barely taking his fingers off and rarely stopping, but shaking (smoothly) like a snake, slower & more continuous than a vibrato. It looked pretty wild. And it sounded excellent! His thing was getting a very unique sound that was actually a tiny bit off key but it was more "spread out" and it had a good effect in a band setting because it could smooth out a miss by the guitarist on occasion. He told me it was not uncommon for folks who went from a bow drawn instrument to a modern fret-less but I've only seen a few people really get into it. It's a lot of fun.

11. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    THat I could get into.

12. The whole performance didn't do a thing for me; but the crowd sure did seem to be enjoying themselves. Is that The Testosterone Festival? 'Looked like a bunch'a dudes getting drunk and rowdy.

13. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005

Where can I get a taste of the snake?

;)

14. I don't like playing out of key but I had a gui**** play "My Hero" from Foo Fighters in F instead of E. What a horrid mess! :rollno:

15. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    I would love to be one of your bandmates. :eyebrow:

16. I do this all the time.. I could prolly play out of tune and play the song wrong and nobody in my band would prolly notice.:rollno:

17. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    In practice we decided to do a cover of "el scorcho" by weezer. The guitarist and I look up chord charts on our phones and didnt bother to check to make sure we had the same keys. He was in Ab and I was in A. Took us a while to figure out why it sounded odd:p. The drummer didn't even notice and he happens to be the singer as well... :eek:

otherwise I accidentally hit the occasional sour note like everyone else in the world:p rarely am I off key for more than 2 measures

18. I once forgot to drop tune on Killing in the Name Of.
    Give me transposing E to Drop D any day over Drop D to E :D

19. A new guitarist, way on the other side of the stage puts his capo in the wrong place he plays the intro to "crazy little thing called love" I come in it sounds spectacularly bad, I know I'm right but can’t see where his capo is, and the bass line, in the key we play the song, is way too busy for me to start taking a stab in the dark. This was the only time I have ever called a halt to a song in front of an audience, and really hope it is the last. Properly embarrassing as everyone in the room thought it was me.

20. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    In my old band we had a song where the rhythm guitarist played keys instead. There was a 2 note sustained intro with the keys and then the rest of the band came in and the rhythm guitarist pretty much just had to play 2 notes on the keys the whole song. Well after the intro the rest of the band jumps in and BAM, it sounds terrible. Turns out the rhythm guitarist had fudged with some buttons on the synth and it was way out of wack. Well we all keep playing hoping he'll get his act together, the show must go on after all. And instead of figuring out what he's doing wrong, he stares at us then proceeds to walk around the stage to each one of us asking us whats going on, while the rest of us just keep playing! Funniest part was he thought the rest of us were in the wrong key!