Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anybody find guitarists awkward?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Apr 17, 2001.

1. YES!

103 vote(s)
    53.4%
  2. no

47 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. i find this poll to be yet another example in a long line of polls-that-are-wastes-of-electrons

43 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    Please vote if you are in a band and find that the most awkward member of your band is your guitarist? Cos' mine is; (always too damn busy to practice!)

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

How about "odd"? (At least for rock guitarists).

This guy came back to town from Haight-Ashbury when it was happening, walking down the streets wearing a white robe and beads and playing a kalimba (or whatever those thumb instruments are).

Since I'm 6'3", I would hit my head on the ceiling of his basement if we were jamming down there. One day I came in there, and he had dug about a 1 foot crater into the concrete floor for me to stand in.

Actually, I think it's sort of a compliment. I saw David Letterman interviewing Iggy a few years ago, and Iggy said all the really good guitarists he's worked with were goofy/eccentric in one way or another. He said one of the first things he looks for in guitarists is how loopy they are.

3. Nope, ours is our sound tech/DJ. The guy is 6'9" and about 160 lbs. The guys looks like a friggin scarecrow. And he ALWAYS tripping on cords and cables. Good DJ though.

Rock on
    Eric

4. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    In my band i'm the oddball. I like playing with the window open in the winter with the lights all off with the strobe light going. Everyone else hates it.

Sometimes I chew gum and when i'm done I stick it on the cieling for no reason other than to make people think "What the hell is he doing?"

5. Hmmmm.... this looks a lot like another "bash guitarists" thread, except in disguise. And not even a very good disguise at that.

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    our guitarist is a complete weirdo, but disturbingly lovable at the same time. we've learnt never to give him alcohol .. ;)
    when our band was being interviewed, the chick asked him what being in clear air turbulence (our band) was like .. so naturally he goes, "it's like being squashed inside a triangular-shaped biscuit filled with a creamy substance".
    naturally we all took a step back. except me. coz i have no legs. :D

7. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I vote "no" because most musicians I know are a bit awkard in a way or another. Not especially guitarists.
    If you have asked about ego problem, I would have answered differently though :D

8. People are awkward. That's what makes every one of us unique (beautiful cliche, if I may say so)

If you guys were all like me (=normal ;):D lol) what hell would turn loose?

9. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    my guitarist is a complete wacko! today at practice at the end of one of our songs he decided it was time to throw his guitar. we all just froze....looked at him and he says " it need some character ". we are all pretty wierd but he is by far the oddest.

10. davetsbass

davetsbass Guest

Mar 24, 2001
    burnt hills NY
    Yea my guitarist is a lil gone, but I'm farther out then he is. Our drummer is a dufus who always drops his sticks and such.. but our singer HA well he is one screw loose. He is a 70's kind of guy.. white with an afro haha but he's also the coolest guy i know seeming im only 14 and everyone else is 16

11. Its safe to say that i am the weird one by a LLOOONNG way. :p i have "Damo's an Idiot tally" on the wall. My guitarist is the smart one, he's the nerd of our band. We get him to count up all the change for pizza cause we're all doofi.

Merls

12. If by awkward you mean uncoordinated, yes. He's a computer nerd and has no hand-eye coordination whatsoever. He thinks hes the man at basketball too, but hes not.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man...I'm all mixed up here:D...I'm the "awkward" one in the band...blueish dreads, built like a tank (5'9", 220 lbs, though look about 170...) and am the "crazy" one in the band...both my guitarists are normal, well adjusted people.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That guitar must be like a toy on him...I'd like to see that!

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Every band I'v been in/jammed with, the guitarists were always cool. I think drummers are weird. Not in a bad way. They just have silly little qurkynesses (made up word) about 'em.

16. <marquee>YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!</marquee>

17. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    when our drummer smokes, he spits. a lot. so much, in fact, that by the time he has finished his cigarette, he has a respectable pool of saliva with which to douse his addiction in.

does anyone else find that their drummers are starting to evolve to cope with such situations also? :D

18. duff_hodges

duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    My band has constantly split up and rejoined again because of the guitarists!!!

Theres the classic guitarist joke:

Q. How many guitarists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A. None. They steal other peoples lights!!!

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Bleah....

I said it once, I'll say it again.

The guitarist is just the basists b*tch anyways.

Sit fido. Play three chords. solo. three chords again. Good boy! Have a scooby snack.

20. You know that sounds soooo umm Prison like. lololololol Bubba...

Merls