Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody gig and only own one bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Just curious; Are there any TB'ers that gig on a regular basis, and only own one bass? If so, what is it?

Skel

2. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I play an American Jazz V exlusively. I've considered adding other basses to my lineup, but my need (and checking account) has never been great enough.

I can always count on it to sound great and the adjustments I make to the volume/tone controls and playing style are enough to get the different tones I need.

3. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    In the begining of my career I owned one bass. It's funny, when are struggling you can barely afford a good a bass. After you meet with some success and you can afford to buy nice basses you get endoresments and you don't pay for anything. Somehow it doesn't seem fair.

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    What was the one bass you played at the beginning?

5. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Although I generally owned more than one bass at a time, I always had a tendency to gravitate to one bass while the others collected dust.

Since switching to 5-string basses 10 years ago, the list of basses that I pretty much used solely for some period of time include the following:

1) Ibanez SR505
    2) Carvin LB75
    3) Fender American Deluxe Precision V
    4) Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5

Ted

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well, my brother-in-law was a great golfer (he died). I went into his garage one time, and he had a couple sets of golf clubs and the 2 sets would change on a periodic basis, but he had about 50 putters. I think if you went into any pro golfer's garage, that's what you would see. Most of us probably own at least 3 basses, but then you have guys like Paul McCartney who bought one (the Hofner) and was given the Ric. Not sure if he would have actually payed for the Ric! For probably at least 5 years - the guy only had 2 basses (that's what I read, anyway). Of course I'm not sure he considered himself a virtuoso - probably spent much more time with an acoustic guitar or a piano.

Skel

7. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    I gig about once a week as a semi-pro. One bass: MM Sub 4 Passive.

A fretless might be nice...

8. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    I have only had one bass or another for twenty+ years and I've been gigging most of that time ranging from once a month to three times a week. For 21 of those years I've been using my one Alembic Spoiler bass. Jet black and it cuts nicely.

9. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    ive only ever brought one bass to a gig, a pre-1982 musicman sabre

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I own more than one, but I only take one bass to a gig when I'm not on tour. Right now it's a Sadowsky MS5.

11. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i feel that its just like collecting anything somewhat. you only need typically 3 cars at maximum in a typical family, but a collector could have hundreds. why? cos he can. having multiple basses also allows partially that need/want for a collection/army of instruments to choose from. many times, these guys with vast collections onnly bring one or two with them to the gig anyway.

obviously, certain basses compliment certain styles and genres the best. having two VASTLY different ones (such as fretless, fretted, 4 5 or 6 string) is always a very usable and viable combination. two fenders (p and j) may be slightly repetitive and useless. all depends on how ya feel about it.

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I gigged with an Ibanez SR-885 from 1999 until recently. I went into the studio and found the tone to be lacking and jumped on an opportunity for a Cirrus. I will probably hold on to the SR even though I probably wont use it again.

13. I play about 4 shows a month and only use my MIM Fender Jazz (modified)... does the job for covers. If I am playing far from home I bring my guitarists MIM Fender Jazz for a back-up in case of string breakage... we also bring it if we are planning on playing "Boris the Spider" because we double up on bass for that song (one clean/ one dist.).

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I played a number of gigs in high school and college with only one bass. So long as you have the tools necessary to adjust and fix the bass, plus an extra set of strings, you should be ok.

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I gig regularly with only my P-Bass (my only bass).

Though I am slowly obtaining parts to build my own custom Jazz bass.

16. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I play at least twice a month, and own only a Warwick Corvette Standard. I'm going to save up for an ADG (like a Chapman Stick). If that happens, cool. If not, the next bass I want to buy is a Yamaha Attitude, then either a custom Warwick or a Fodera. So, the having one bass thing is not really by choice (although my Corvette is great).

17. When I was playing full-time (5 gigs a week for 3 years) I only had one bass (SR800). Then I got a luthier-built bass (playing less gigs by this time, originals only) and brought both to every gig, but only ever played the custom. I recently traded the SR800 in for my SansAmp BDDI Programmable and some other goodies, since I hadn't ever played it since I got the custom (2 1/2 years ago), and I dislike the thought of an instrument going unplayed for such a length of time. The custom proved to be reliable, the need for two just wasn't there, so hopefully someone else is making that SR800 sing with a smile on their face. I am, however, always in the market for a fretless, which could, in essence, double as a backup if needed. Someday.................:bassist:

18. I started with one but after a few too many long rides home hearing about the nightmares of having "the one fail and not having a backup" I changed my ways. BUT, when I did only have one, it was the MMSR5. Like the rock of Gibralter, that bass... but I also have an SVT II Pro head (all tube and sensitive to overheating due to loading it into the wrong case...) - and after a few too many gigs of, 'what the hell? Where is my sound!?" - I even carry a spare head to gigs now.

Mind you, the SVT II Pro has been completely tuned up now, is no longer in the 'no airflow' case, and is in fine condition - no problems - just gotta give it a lot of fresh air! - But still, the idea of being mid gig and having an instrument problem you can't solve very quiclky makes me back up all my stuff.

--tz

19. UrbanIvy

UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    I've been playking a thumb 4 exclusively at gigs over the past two years.

Looking to pick up a fiver though, so that may soon change.

20. I have 3 basses and normally bring 2, but if I play a gig where I only bring along 1 bass, 99% of the time it's my P-Bass. If I could have only 1 bass, it would be a P-Bass.