1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody gig with a Bass VI? What amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gremson, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    This holiday season will likely bring me a Squier Bass VI. Seems like a hell of an instrument. But I wonder what kind of rig would it require to gig with.. Guitar amp? Bass amp? Crazy bi-amped rig?

What do you guys use?

2. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    I don't have one, and this is pure speculation- it would be cool to hear one through an old low(ish) powered tube amp. Something like a V4 or a Bassman with the right (bass-friendly) speakers could maybe get that guitar-like breakup without murdering speaker cones.

3. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    That's kinda what I was thinking. I already own a Traynor Bassmaster and an empty VT 4X12 cab that's a little burlier than the standard guitar cab. I wonder if just throwing some bass or full range speakers in that cab with the Bassmaster would be the bees knees.

4. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Depends on what you want to do musically! I tend to use my bassVI mostly for recording (layered overdubs, tic-tac bass, etc...), but it also performs great as a stand-alone traditional bass. I usually use a Mesa Buster200 tube combo with a single 15" speaker. Sounds great!

Here's a couple of clips through regular old bass amps. I couldn't find one of my Mesa rig.

This was a video demo I did for Eastwood Guitars. It's an inexpensive Line6 LowDown 12" combo amp miced up:

5. negativefx

negativefx complete hack

Feb 18, 2013
    Fort Collins
    I had high hopes that I could use my Pawn Shop Bass VI with my Orange TH30/PPC412 guitar rig. Unless you pull back the bass significantly, the four 12"s couldn't keep up with the low frequencies... and on the TH30 that's a scoop so you lose treble too.

I'm now just running an A/B switcher into my Super Bassman. Sounds really nice on the modern channel with some clean blend.

Now that I think of it, I haven't tried running my 7 band EQ pedal between the VI and my guitar amp...

6. mtwtrf

mtwtrf

May 6, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've been on the road for the past month and have been running my Squier VI through a Phil Jones suitcase bass amp. Turn up the low end of the eq and it sounds great.

7. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    A comparison of the pawn Shop model vs. the Squier. Personally, I would love one of these, if only to play those old Duane Eddy instrumentals, on which he played the Dan Electro 6 string bass.

8. I borrowed a Fender VI in the late sixties to play a few gigs after my bass was stolen. For me it was a case of it's neither a bass nor a guitar. I was relieved when I gave it back. The irony is that nowadays I play my three sixes stings exclusively. :)