Anybody gig with a single 115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryantandrew, Mar 4, 2010.

1. bryantandrew

bryantandrew

Dec 17, 2008
    I've got a Traynor TC115 and a GB Shuttlemax 6.0 running 375W @ 8 ohms, and I've had the opportunity to use it for a small club gig within the last month just once. It did a fine job, wasn't pushing it at all (no drums at that particular gig). For the time being, this will probably be my main rig, and I'll be branching out into heavier setups soon (2 guitars, bass, drums, vocals, keys).

How have other people's experiences been with using a single 115 cab? I don't see myself playing too many outdoor gigs or large venues that don't have PA support, but seeing as I haven't had a chance to really push my rig or compete with more band members for sound, I'd like to get a feel for how I'll fare with this setup.

PA support is going to be very common for the places I think I'll end up playing, and the genre of music ranges from soft acoustic and electric jazz to as loud as hard rock. And should this setup somewhere fail me for volume, what's the majority opinion on adding an identical cab (in my case, another TC115) to take advantage of the 600W @ 4ohm spec, in terms of phasing or the sound of 2 15"s?

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Most of the time I gig with a single Bag End S-15XD. It's plenty loud for most situations, and cuts through nicely. It has a lot of muscle for such a small cab.

If I need more bottom, volume, or "oomph", I will add another Bag End 15 for the gig.

3. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I do on occasion ... not the same rig, but I use an old Peavey Combo 300 for small Ice Houses & Sports Bars ... will get plenty loud ..... if your not sure about how well it's going to sound ... get/borrow a wireless set and walk out 20-30 feet ... you'll be surprised at how well your sound get projected ... IMHO

4. Been gigging with a single 15 for years without ANY problems!

5. I do it all the time.. also use single 12s..

For outdoor gigs it's an excuse to bring out the bigguns.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    sometimes, but i prefer two of them.

7. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    I think that's the key right there. I never have PA support, so my rig has to carry the whole load. I wouldn't try that with one 1x15 - that's why I stack two.

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I've used an early 90s Fender BXR 300 with a single 15. It performed well, but, as is often the case, I added another 15 cab and it sure "rounded" out the sound. I last used it by itself as my bass rig a few years ago in a fairly large concert hall. Didn't have to push it much at all. :cool:

BTW- It also makes a great keyboard amp. I use it for that pretty often. ;)

9. FuManChu

FuManChu

Mar 3, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I have used a 15 in the past by itself, went to a 2x12 cab and head and now I'm back to using an Ampeg BA600 1x15 combo. With PA support I never understand the need to have stage volume at ear bleeding levels. I always run direct to the PA so technically I'm really gigging with 2x18 and 2x15 horn loaded cabinets biamped. That is a monster bass rig.

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I do, sometimes... either a Mesa Boogie 1x15 loaded with a 200-watt EV (used with a GK 400RB or a GK 1001RBII), or an Ampeg 100-watt Rocket Bass combo.
    No problems, ever.

11. +1 same combo used on a small venue without PA. No probs!
    Also thank for the tip to add another 15er to improve sound. Will try that out too.

12. I will be when I get my fEarful style 3015LF+6.5 mid cab from LDS - but I'm not sure punching a fEarful with 700 watts is your typical 115 situation.

13. lofreq64

lofreq64 Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Sussex County NJ
    I'll often gig w/Ampeg SVT15EN loaded with a 4 ohm Carvin 600W speaker and my V4B. Get's the job done for most gigs very tonefully.

14. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This is all I've ever used. Either a Genz Benz, Peavey or now SWR combo and 160 watts is the most powerfull one I've ever used. Most all of the gigs I've played I also went direct to the PA.

15. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    A Hartke LH500 into a Kappalite 3015 loaded EV TL606 is my main rig these days with my funky blues band. Works fine for most situations. I have a second TL606 I can stack if need be, but I haven't really needed that since I quit playing with my ultra-loud cover band.

Cheers,
    Liam

16. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My rig is an Aguilar DB750+DB115. I haven't gigged it yet, but we won't be any louder on the gig than we are in rehearsal. The DB115 is the best-sounding solo cab I've used so far.

17. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    For years I used a 1x15 Fender BXR 300C in a hard rock cover band and had no volume issues at all. I currently use a 1x15 Ampeg B-100R or a B15N Portaflex with an oldies group as well as acoustic gigs and jam night work and they work just fine.

18. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    I sometimes use my single SWR 1x15 cab with an Eden head... lovely tone, but naturally a hair shy in the mids. Nice bottom though. Works really well for some gigs, especially when paired with my P-Bass.

19. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

PA or no PA?

20. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I gig with an Ampeg 115 cab (SVT115EN like another poster) regularly in a band with 2 guitarists, drummer, and vocal PA. We play a lot of bars, parties and clubs and I've never had a problem being heard. I have larger cabs, but I'd rather bring the 115.

I also gig with a 55 watt amp and people on TB tell me I can't gig with it either so...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021