Anybody got a 2x12 Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Anyone here play through a 2x12 Cab? What is the best application for these Cabinets?

I have given thought to 2x12 over 4x10. Any thoughts?
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I recommend performing a search for "2x12" - there has been quite a bit of discussion on it. My take on the situation is that folks believe 12's are a compromise between 10's and 15's. They can have better bottom end than 10's but not as good as 15's. Likewise, their upper midrange is weaker than 10's and stronger than 15's. I'm sure there are some counterexamples, though. The old Fender Bassman 4x12 cabinet was quite capable on the bottom, as I recall.

I think players who want a good, full-range sound generally get 10's and often supplement them with a 15" or 18" system to cover the bottom octave or so. That's what I'm doing, and it works very well. I seriously debated using a 2x12, but decided I needed better low-end, so went with a 2x15. The major factor is the type of sound you want and the types of venues you play in.

- Mike
  3. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    My Epifani 2x12 experiences no lack of low end, and handles the low B (and A) superbly. Others may have different hears, but in my opinion, this particular 2x12 (I can't speak for all 12's or all 12 equipped cabinets) is not a compromise, but is actually just as punchy (with enough power) as 10's, and just as good (if not better) low end than 15's. As you can tell, I really like this cab and can't recommend it enough. It was better in every way (to me) than the Eden 410xlt I a/b'd it against.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I got a really good deal on an Eden D-212XLT ($450) and bought it. I've gotten used to the punch and response of 10,s so I didn't care for the 212, which lacked the high mids and highs. It really added bottom when combined with my 410, though. Ultimately, I sold it to our sound man, who also plays bass, and he just loves it. Each to his own. I'd say play a bunch of them before you take the plunge.
  5. ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I used to only play through tens though I never had the tone I was looking for. At my store, I ordered an Eden 212 for a customer and when it arrived I opened it and checked to make sure all was well. I was blown away. Suddenly, the tone I had been searching for was coming out of this strange looking cabinet(strange because I had been only using tens for at least ten years). I am a player who loves low mids. I have to have that frequency range dominate over all others for me to like my tone. I want a deep, round punchy tone. The 12's give me this times a 100 and I haven't noticed any less clarity though I never have used a very bright tone. I have an extremely clear tone that's distinct yet warm. I play through two 212 cabs and love them. I really like the epifani as well and think they are probably a little better sounding than the Eden's but not by much. Since I'm an Eden dealer, it makes financial since for me to just play those. The Eden now sells new for around $630. It used to list at $1022 and then eden decided to discontinue it. Thanks to the renewed interest in 12's brought about by the popularity of the Epifani's and increased requests by my store and many others, Eden brought it back and lowered its list price to $900.
  6. I wish Meas \Boogie would make a road ready 2x12 bass cab...I have a 2x15 that I love....(my back hates it)seems like it would be a good stand-alone cab(I also have a 2x10+tweeter r.r)but bringing all those cabs is gettin old(so am I)or maybe they could make a road ready ROADIE :) that would sell