1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody got a Carl Thompson?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jessew, Nov 18, 2003.

1. jessew

jessew

Oct 27, 2003
    new jearsy
    does anyone hear have a carl thompson bass?
    If so, show your baby off with some pictures and/or sound clips....pictures of other custom basses are certainly welcome

2. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    I had a Carl Thompson for four years. I bought it off of Kjell Brenner in 1992. I traded it for my first Curbow. It was an awesome bass and as of late I have missed it.

3. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I had the second one built but also sold it some years ago. It didn't have the scroll, more of a jazz body. Ken Smith had(has?) #3.....

4. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Hmm.. why does everyone sell their CTs, I wonder? Could it be because everyone wants a Huff bass now? :)

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it, dammit.:bassist:

5. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Well.. *I* want a Huff bass!

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Dave Siff has one that he bought in pretty bad shape and had it restored.

7. I sold it about 18 months ago, for a nice profit. I could never get it quite right, although it did have a ton of vibe.

8. jessew

jessew

Oct 27, 2003
    new jearsy
    so does anybody actually have a ct.....thats why i started this thread

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not sure if this cat is a TB'er, but the bassist for the 'live' hip-hop band "LOA" (live on arrival, atlanta area group) has a 36inch CT 5 stringer with the fixed bridge (w/ little brass ferrules) and single EMG pup... I used to share a practice room a while back with his group. So I know there is atleast one still in the ATL-area

Maybe Siff, Jason, JT, J_ATL or Soybeans might know the cat... Sorry I couldn't help more.

Siff, you got pix of that one you used to own?

10. Erick Warner

Erick Warner

Jun 26, 2002
    Missouri
    Hey,

I own a couple of CTs - they are the best investment I've made to date. Carl is a true artist.

I have a 36 4-string fretlless and a 38 5 string fretted. You can see these basses and a heck of a lot more at www.ctbasses.com.

Getting to know Carl has been one of the hilights of my life. He has a lot of knowledge and some wonderful stories.

Peace
    Erick

11. Here's an old picture of me playing it.. this and a couple others are posted at ctbasses.com, under the 4-string pictures section.

[​IMG]

I've never seen that guy you mentioned with the CT 5-string, but there's a guy who plays in a local band called Ocelot, who has a CT 8-string (octave pairs). He's played in a couple of other bands as well.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Erick ,

I hope you don't mind... here are pic of those from the CT site, of Erick's basses:

36 4-string fretless
    [​IMG]

38 5 string fretted
    [​IMG]

Siff, that is cool that they mentioned your CT on the site as well...

[​IMG]

13. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    are CT's like roles royces. They dont seem overly facny to me, but its kinda like a status thing. Im sure they are made extremely well but for the money id much rather have a D Huff bass i guess. Not ripping on carl i just cant justify that bass for the prices they go for, but then again ive never played one.

14. Erick Warner

Erick Warner

Jun 26, 2002
    Missouri