Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody got a Carl Thompson?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jessew, Nov 18, 2003.

1. jessew

jessew

Oct 27, 2003
    new jearsy
    does anyone hear have a carl thompson bass?
    If so, show your baby off with some pictures and/or sound clips....pictures of other custom basses are certainly welcome

2. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    I had a Carl Thompson for four years. I bought it off of Kjell Brenner in 1992. I traded it for my first Curbow. It was an awesome bass and as of late I have missed it.

3. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I had the second one built but also sold it some years ago. It didn't have the scroll, more of a jazz body. Ken Smith had(has?) #3.....

4. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Hmm.. why does everyone sell their CTs, I wonder? Could it be because everyone wants a Huff bass now? :)

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it, dammit.:bassist:

5. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Well.. *I* want a Huff bass!

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Dave Siff has one that he bought in pretty bad shape and had it restored.

7. I sold it about 18 months ago, for a nice profit. I could never get it quite right, although it did have a ton of vibe.

8. jessew

jessew

Oct 27, 2003
    new jearsy
    so does anybody actually have a ct.....thats why i started this thread

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Not sure if this cat is a TB'er, but the bassist for the 'live' hip-hop band "LOA" (live on arrival, atlanta area group) has a 36inch CT 5 stringer with the fixed bridge (w/ little brass ferrules) and single EMG pup... I used to share a practice room a while back with his group. So I know there is atleast one still in the ATL-area

Maybe Siff, Jason, JT, J_ATL or Soybeans might know the cat... Sorry I couldn't help more.

Siff, you got pix of that one you used to own?

10. Erick Warner

Erick Warner

Jun 26, 2002
    Missouri
    Hey,

I own a couple of CTs - they are the best investment I've made to date. Carl is a true artist.

I have a 36 4-string fretlless and a 38 5 string fretted. You can see these basses and a heck of a lot more at www.ctbasses.com.

Getting to know Carl has been one of the hilights of my life. He has a lot of knowledge and some wonderful stories.

Peace
    Erick

11. Here's an old picture of me playing it.. this and a couple others are posted at ctbasses.com, under the 4-string pictures section.

[​IMG]

I've never seen that guy you mentioned with the CT 5-string, but there's a guy who plays in a local band called Ocelot, who has a CT 8-string (octave pairs). He's played in a couple of other bands as well.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Erick ,

I hope you don't mind... here are pic of those from the CT site, of Erick's basses:

36 4-string fretless
    [​IMG]

38 5 string fretted
    [​IMG]

Siff, that is cool that they mentioned your CT on the site as well...

[​IMG]

13. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    are CT's like roles royces. They dont seem overly facny to me, but its kinda like a status thing. Im sure they are made extremely well but for the money id much rather have a D Huff bass i guess. Not ripping on carl i just cant justify that bass for the prices they go for, but then again ive never played one.

14. Erick Warner

Erick Warner

Jun 26, 2002
    Missouri