Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody got a Fender 50th Anniversary P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, May 19, 2004.

1. How do you like it? Is it exactly the same as an American P-bass or is the neck different?

Want to trade for a G&L L-1500? (mint condition)? :bassist:

2. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    One of my buddies has one and since i do all his work I get to keep them in my possesion for a while.
    He got it from a vintage shop in our area for like 1200.00$ and it was 100% dead b@lls mint,the person who owned it before him bought it for an investment and not to actually use it.
    Everything seems to be very well made and looks as good as it plays,I'm not into baseball size necks so I did'nt play it as much as I would have liked to.
    I own a early japanese p-bass and mine sounds a tad bit better,in my opinion and his(my bass costed 300.00$)i would'nt pay that kind of money for a p-bass(it sells for 1349.00$ new)he actually got it because he liked my p-bass so much he had to one up me on basses.
    All in all its a nice bass that plays well and never needs to "tweaked" and is always in tune.
    Hope this helped. :bassist:

3. There were actually 2 50th Anniversary P-basses. One was made in 1996, apparently to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Fender. The other was made in 2001 to commemorate the anniversary of the P-bass. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). It is my understanding that the 2001 was a limited edition, but the 1996 wasn't. Also, based on all the reviews I've read, the 2001 is a MUCH better bass.

I believe that the 2001 only came in one color: butterscotch.
    I'm not sure about the colors of the 1996.

Here's a closed eBay auction that actually sold to a local buyer in Missouri and the seller closed the auction early.
    I wanted to buy it, but missed out on it. :crying: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3716736179&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

If anyone knows where to find one, please let me know. :hyper:

So, Demolition, which one does your friend have?

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    The 1996 was a sunburst figured maple top, gold hardware. Not a bad bass... It came near the top of the pile out of the 30 or so P basses I tried when I was after one... It ultimately got rejected because it looked too fancy. I bought a Stingray instead.

5. It's the 2001 model I'm talking about.

6. gunkle

gunkle Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2002
    I've got one (the 2001 model). I can't speak to it's difference from the other P-basses.

It's a killer bass. A great player. I agree with Demolition's assesment, always in tune and it never needs to be tweaked.

I'd never get rid of it.

g-

7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    My friend has one (a '96), it sucks (opiniative). But she likes it and that's the important thing. I think it lacks attack, punch, and just about everything I like in a bass.

8. Erick Warner

Erick Warner

Jun 26, 2002
    Missouri
    The 1996 P-bass was also a limited addition - there were 6 guitars total in the series.

I may be wrong but I think there was the P-bass, a 4 and 5 string Jazz bass, a stratocaster, telecaster and a left handed stratocaster.

There was 2,500 made of the strat
    1250 made of the tele
    250 made of the left handed strat
    500 made of the basses.

9. Aw c'mon, Gunkle, I'll trade you a slightly used Fernandes for it. ;)

10. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I have one of the 2001 Anniversary models and I also have a 2000 American Series P to complare it to.

The Anniversary is hands down a way better bass. (Even though the 2000 is nice). It is much closer in QC to the very nice vintage RI models. Best off the rack P bass I have played for a long time.

11. gunkle

gunkle Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2002
    hmmm....tempting.... :)

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I had one. It was a nice Bass, but I didnt care for the maple fretboard. The tone was a little to bright for my taste. I compared it with my 98 MIA P (sunburst, rosewood) and found the 98 to be thicker and deeper than the 01 anniv P was. Both had the same setup and were strung with Slowounds.

Even my drummer noticed a difference between the two (and when drummers notice anything tone related, it must be blatantly obvious :D )

13. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Hey Bass Atl.
    my bud's bass is the 1996 anv. model,its all of the best features of the p-bass,I.E.string thru bridge,delux tuners,split coil/2 pole pieces per string p-up,rolled frettboard edges,detailed nut and frett work(i dont see the difference from my basses neck)ETC.
    I like the fact that the bass is a few years old already and the neck is all done moving,its nice to buy a used bass that was well taken care of but not abused(it saves having to tweak the neck every time the weather shifts a bit).
    I to believe the bass lacks the attack that a monster baseball bat sized fender p-bass should have,my japanese p-bass puts it to shame and my american j-bass has as much punch as this perticular p-bass and we all know it should'nt have.
    Put a set of Demarzio's on it and call itr a day.

14. I have the 1996 bass. Having never owned a P bass, only Jazzes, I love the bass. Its got the big sound I was looking for and its also a good looking guitar. With the flamed maple and gold hardware lots of folks notice. I like it also because I also own a 4003 Ric and now I have 2 very different tones to chose from.

15. rgrif93791

rgrif93791

Jun 3, 2011
    I have a 2001 50th anniversary for sale. Its never been played and everything is sealed in all the bags, the cert of auth, the hang tags, the case candy, and all, the case has been wrapped in a sheet under my bed since 2001. Email me and we can talk about making an offer on it. Thanks Bob

16. The same thing happened with 60th anniversary in 2006 and 2011.