1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody got an extra gold hex nut & dress washer for a USA Switchcraft 1/4" jack?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pbassnut, Feb 6, 2017.

1. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    Luthiers and fellow FrankenFender enthusiasts ... I recently bought a very nice AllParts maple/maple P neck that came loaded with a set of gold Schaller tuners and string guide so I've been seeking gold hardware and screws to put on a Warmoth Precision body so as to match with the neck hardware and have managed to round up everything I need exept for a gold hex nut & dress washer to replace the chrome set currently installed on the USA Switchcraft 1/4" jack. Anybody got an extra gold hex nut & dress washer for a USA Switchcraft 1/4" jack laying around in their spare parts drawer that you could sell to me?

Thanks, Steve

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what, there are no music stores in northern VA?

any store with a guitar or amp tech will have piles of them.

3. pbassnut

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    Checked both the Falls Church and Fairfax GCs and Fox Music here in downtown Falls Church to no avail. Chrome parts abound, but gold ... not so much.

4. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    huh; any of those places have repair guys?

i literally have plastic drawers full of screws, nuts and washers that have accumulated over the years, including gold ones; any good repair tech should have the same.

otherwise i'm not surprised, the salesperson on the other end of the phone is just gonna be looking at their individually packaged new replacement parts hanging up on the "accessories" wall, and there likely won't be individual nuts and washers up there. (if there were they'd be like $5 each instead of the 50ยข they should cost)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    202dy likes this.
  5. pbassnut

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    Anyone?

6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Try Home Depot

They've got all kinds of gold hardware bits 'n pieces

7. pbassnut

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i have never seen switchcraft-sized nuts and washers at home depot or any of those places.

9. skot71

skot71

May 22, 2014
    In a pinch, you might color them with a yellow sharpie. Did that on my son's Les Paul copy. At least until you find one.

10. pbassnut

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    That's not a bad idea ... I'm always up for a clever "on the cheap" solution for something simple like this. Thanks.

skot71 likes this.