Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody got any cool acoustic/ semi acoustic basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomthedude, Nov 12, 2004.

1. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    Just curious if anybody had any good looking acoustic/semi acoustic basses. I like the look and sound of them, and I'm interested in buying one. Show us them if you do, lol cheers
    Tom

2. tacoma thunderchief. purchased beat up on ebay for 275.00 I replaced pre with L.R.Baggs. Strings are bronze over nylon core thomastic Infeld. Lots of compliments, especially from nonmuscians on this pre-fender u.s. made hunk of wood.

Me belong to Thunderchief Nation.

Thunderchief is Strong Medicine.

Good to have Strong Medicine for Open Mic Night.

3. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    Do u get a good sound out of that? Has anybody got any bass like the one attached bellow?

4. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    here's mine, 68 gibson EB-2D
    [​IMG]
    I found it in a shed of a relatives, and the finish was coming off like syrup. Had tons of fretwear and the electronics were crap. Sent it to John Wescott guitar shop to be restored (great guy and great work by the way), but it was pretty far gone and he suggested fixing it up like it is now. Put a sd quarter pounder and got rid of the old pickups, he did a refret, and a cool paint job and even made a new pickguard. I just put a set of TI Flats on it a few weeks ago and it plays like butter, has a really distinct 'authentic' bass sound.

5. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    That is the kind of thing I would like to get, that guitar is amazing, do you have any pics of it before the work? Im in UK and I'd have to order something like that, because theres never any semis in the shops apart from the really cheapy bad quality ones.

6. andysvec

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    here's the before shots from John's website
    [​IMG]
    It looks a lot better in that pic than it really was. The finish was goo and the neck was unplayable, not to mention the electronics were shot.

7. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  8. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I have a Yamaha BEX-4c :

http://www.musikland-online.de/pix/onlineshop/abssegit1380353105.jpg

(although mine's blue).

It's got a single-cut body, flamey top, humbucker and piezo pickups with volume, blend and 3 band EQ and some great tones. Yamaha only made them for a year or so. Originally they were priced about 600 quid, and they're now popping up on eBay now and again for 2-3 hundred quid (which is how I got mine). Bargain!

9. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I've got one of these Ibanez Artcore Bass

[​IMG]

Good bass for the money
    (especially with TI Jazz Rounds fitted and tuned D G C F)

10. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    I have the double cut Artcore. I love it and can't wait to get my newly ordered TI's. Good tip on the tuning!
    Man, a Gibson with P pu's. I am green with envy.
    Maybe red...

11. I've got a godin A-4, it's an acoustic that's only a little thicker then a solidbody. Sounds great, although I'm playing upright for all the stuff I used to use it for so it might get sold. Definitely a cool bass though.

12. andysvec

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    Those are cool, don't you play them by plucking octaves or something? Not much of a fretboard on them, that's for sure.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Do you own one?

Where could I find one? How much?

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Kopo Kouzbass is awesome.
    Very natural, deep sound and great playability.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Carvin AC40. Not really an acoustic or even a semi (it must be amplified to get ANY volume). But the hollow body, couple with a piezo bridge pickup and Labella Nylon Tape wound strings definitely give it that acoustic vibe.

I dig mine, plays like a dream. Sounds great. Especially against acoustic guitars.

16. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I kind of have a thing for the G&L thinline ASAT basses, I simply love their look. Does anyone own one? How "acoustic" do they sound?

Damnit, that Ibanez Artcore looks neat, too. What's their scale length?

17. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Damnit, that Ibanez Artcore looks neat, too.[/QUOTE]

And a "nice price" too

18. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Do they make lefty Artcores, too? Damn, I think I'm full of GAS!

19. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I have a Hofner 500/1 and a Vox Constellation IV. I use roundwound strings on both of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is an absolutely awesome job. Kudos to the guy.