Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody got any good SYB-3 settings?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eli, Jul 23, 2001.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    So, based on ONE nice sound I hear on this thing in the store, I haul off and BUY it. (It's the octave from, I think, position #4. The cool thing about THIS is, unlike regular octavers, this thing does not crap out below the open A string but keeps working all the way down to my low B!)

ANYwho, I don't have a manual (I at least had the sense to get one off Harmony-Central for $100), and so am searching for cool settings others have found.

Whaddya got? Websites?

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I also have an syb-3, but I don't have the manual either... I usually play with the octave and the auto wah stuff, I was running the throught the auto wah and into my Morley.... So much wah it would totally fuzz out.... it was fun! If you manage to get a hold of the manual, let me know? Thanks...

3. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I broke down and bought a manual for $5 straight from Roland. Should arrive in a day or two.

Email me off-board at onemanband@mediaone.net and I will scan it and send it to you!

So gimme your settings! I'll give you mine... also please mention how your amp and bass are tweaked (bottom-heavy, bright metallic, mid-rangey, whatever).

4. I've heard about this stuff, but I find it quite difficult to imagine how it works. Like an auto-wah ? Like a bass synthetiser "à la" Stevie Wonder ? Or is it just a cool toy ?

5. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Closer to the Stevie Wonder thing. What comes out sounds just like an old analog synth, either sawtooth or square wave -- because that is precisely what it IS. It is simply designed to trigger from the pitch that you play into it.

And, frankly, it tracks your playing fairly well. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it will follow a fretless upward glissando very nicely. It is a little touchy on legato playing -- you really have to stop each note before you start the next one. And input level is also important; if the instrument is turned either too loud or too soft, the SYB-3 is glitchy.

It is a single-voice device -- that is, it will only play one note at a time, no double-stops or chords. I'm pretty sure this is why it has been called a BASS synth. The owner's manual says not to use it above middle C, but the guy who sold it to me said he was using it on guitar with good success.

I'll post some settings soon...

6. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    OK, here's the first one:

The sub-octave setting I like best is:

Dry signal 12:00 (more or less to taste)
    Synth signal MAX
    freq MIN
    resonance MIN
    decay MAX
    mode #4 or #7

This (especially mode #4) produces an AWESOME octave that works all the way down to my open low B string (though my rig doesn't reproduce it very clearly). To get more of a synth-y sound, tweak up the freq and resonance knobs, and use modes 1, 2, or 3 (no octave).

7. Thanx for your explanations eli! In fact I'm very interested into purchasing one, but I fear I will use it a few weeks and then let it dust away. Anyway... That funky sound is just what I need on same songs !!!

wop wop there it is !!!

And what about it using it with a light disto pedal ?

8. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Distortion is basically clipping, which is a sine wave with a square top. The SYB-3 has a square wave generator, which is a darned raunchy sound. I doubt you would need a distortion pedal on top of it.

If you have a chance to try one, put it on Mode #2 which is a square wave, turn the FREQ and RESONANCE to minimum and DELAY to maximum, and see what you think. Then slowly turn up the FREQ and RESONANCE to add character.

Have fun!

9. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    So here's my basic recipe for getting started with this thing, for modes 1-7:

Dry signal MIN
    Effect signal MAX
    Freq 8:00
    Resonance 8:00
    Delay MAX

Hit a note and see what it sounds like. Then switch through the modes, one at a time. On each mode, tweak up the Freq and Resonance to add character. Now you have a pretty good idea what everything sounds like. Turning up the DRY signal can help add a little punch -- that's the un-effected bass coming through.

Tweaking the DELAY down will shorten the time the tone stays bright -- long delays sound like EEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW, and short delays sound like YOWP YOWP YOWP. I have a feeling I'm going to be leaving the delay on MAX...

The "HOLD" feature is cool: Play a note, then step on the pedal while the note is still ringing. The pedal will hold this note as long as you stay on the pedal, and you can play "dry signal" over it! Chord changes are tricky, coordinating foot and hands, but it can be done.

This thing is cool........

10. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I told you I would post some settings! After much noodling with my previous notes on this thang, I decided most of the presets that I had sounded like poop.... so here is a couple of modified settings that I cooked up tonight!

Numero Uno...

Direct: 12
    Effect: 5
    Res: 9
    Freq: 10-11
    Sens: 4-5
    Mode: 1

I am using the numbers to indicate clock locations, 12 = strait up, 9 = directly pointing left, 3 = equals pointing right, etc.... I also ran the Boss into a DOD distortion pedal, with about 50% - 70% Gain cranked... I liked it! I think I need to get a new dist pedal though... May have to go the store this weekend and play with them.

The next one...

Direct: 12-1
    Effect: 12-1
    Freq: 7
    Res: 7
    Sens: 9
    Mode: 7

I got the direct and efect to match on this one, I thought it sounded pretty good with the mix... I will see what else I can come up with in the next few days...

BTW, your sub-octave settings are really cool.....