Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody got stories about the Mercedes 190E?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Been looking for a car. My friend has been selling me on the idea of getting a used Mercedes. I've been hunting around for a "baby Benz". The models I've looking at range from 1986 to 1993. The price range is between $3000 to $12000. I'm shooting for the $4000 to $8000 range (this is all Canadian$).

From what I've read and heard is that they are very reliable and luxurious. I've seen ads for cars with over 300,000km (~180,000 miles). Stuff doesn't break often but when it does, it comes at a high cost.

Any horror stories? Any good stories? Anything that I should be aware of when shopping?

2. hmz.. no

i live in belgium and the price for mercedes over here is propably quite a bit lower than in canad.. still i don't get the point in ppl bein fixated on a merc.. 190E 1,900cc regular benzine enigine.. don't know if it gets the milage i know the heavy diesel models (2,000cc - 2,500cc)are almost (engine-wise) unbreakable. if you can get one of those with less than 150,000 km you're set.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Plan on spending money no matter what you buy, be it a Mercedes or a Hyundai. This is the same thing I tell all my customers when they ask us "What kind of car should I get?"

The newer and lower mileage, the thicker the payment book.
    The older and higher mileage, the more youll get nickel and dimed to death by repairs.

4. I'm not terribly excited about the performance of the 190. We have a 4 cylinder 2.3L engine that produces 130HP and a 6 cylinder 2.6L version that produces 160HP. The weight of the car is about 3000lbs (1363 kg). It consumes about 10L / 100km according to tests, probably 10-12L in real life.

I'm also aware that you'll have to spend money on a car but the question is "how much more?" My family has a 1997 Dodge Intrepid, we paid $26,000 CDN ($21k + taxes) new. In the last 6 years, the transmission has failed, the gas gauge failed, one speaker has died and the starter died last week. Plus the car shows premature signs of wear in the rubber seals and such. It's in awful shape for a 6 year old car and we go beyond the recommended maintenance. Build quality is awful, awful, AWFUL!

What I'm hoping is that a European luxury car has the build quality to last a long time. My friend told me to compare cars from the 1980's and see that the European models are in far better shape. I just hope that the premium one pays for a luxury car translates into durability and reliability (as well as a fine ride).

5. I got a story about the Mercedes 190E. One time, at band camp...

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    band camp pwns j00!!!!1111!!!

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    FWIW....(and judging by most of my responses in threads) this is probably besides the point but the next vehicle I get will be a Benz.
    New ones are equipped with a Satelite tracking system. It's pretty high tech from what I gathered the other night. It allows a monitoring system to track the vehicle in the event it is stolen or the driver is involved in a mishap. I saw it used the other night and that feature alone makes me want one!
    It's amazing what the system can do and a stolen vehicle was recovered undamaged in a matter of hours and not days. Good times.

8. I had one. Don't remeber the year. 2nd worst car I've owned and the worst car MB has ever built. Probs: AC, valves, leaks, trans, etc. All taken care of under warranty at the time but still a big hassle.

9. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    I drive an '85 190E to work. It was a freebie hand-me-down from my in-laws, that had about 180,000 miles on it when I got it. The engine needed rebuilding, but it turned out to be cheaper to replace the engine with a newer used engine with 114,000 miles that still had tight compression . I've had the car about 5 years now and have probably put around $6,000 into it in repairs, counting the engine swap. I have put another 40,000 miles on since getting it.

I probably would not have bought a 190E, but since it was a freebie I don't feel too bad about spending some $$ to keep it running. The overall quality seems good. The big downside is parts are super-expensive. I just forked over $400 to have a new alternator put in! :(

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Eww, dude! You'll never get that smell off the car! :eek:

11. Why would you want to?!

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You're basically talking luck if the draw here. A 190E could be pretty reliable or a money pit. Some of it depends on build quality, some on the previous owner(s).

You can keep any car for 300,000K miles if you want to, just keep fixing what breaks. AFAIK 190E parts aren't cheap. I'd look into parts sources before considering buying one, easily as important as anectdotal reliability. Check on repair facilities and insurance rates too. No need getting surprised after the purchase.

I bought a low mileage used 1993 Mazda 929, their top of the line luxury model, about $35K US new. Great car... until stuff started breaking. Big stuff. Expensive stuff. I couldn't wait to get rid if that car. My 1989 SAAB 9000S was the same. Surprisingly the 1977 Fiat 124 Spider convertible has been very reliable. Worst reputation of the three;)

Like I said, luck of the draw, a real crapshoot. Good luck.

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Newer ones can do more than just tracking via satellite. Apparently, if the "Check Engine" light were ever to illuminate, the car would notify MB themselves, and they would notify your dealer via satellite that your light is on, and even what trouble code is stored. They could even go beyond and update your vehicles computer via satellite while you drive the car, without you even knowing about it.

It all sounds cool(and way too hi-tech for me), but what happens when Skylab comes crashing down? A million dead MB's on the side of the road?