Anybody had any experience with Linc Luthier Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveAceofBass, Feb 27, 2004.

1. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hi everybody,
    I want to get comments and questions from everybody who has seen, played, or wanted to see a Linc Luthier bass. I currently own a six-string and he is building me a five-string. Any suggestions regarding fretted or fretless? Suggestions on design? What do you like/dislike about these instruments? How many people have been interested in trying them and haven't been able to? If I can help those of you who are interested I'd be glad to, and if you can help me, great!!!
  2. I played through a few at NAMM a couple years back. Solid, well-built and beautiful instruments. Great woods, and all the ones I played were finished with a clear laquer. I'm not sure if he's doing bare-wood basses at all yet. All three I tried, the fit and finish, balance, and tone were everything you'd expect from a custom.

The only thing I can't get past is the upswept horns. That top horn just looks kinda funny to me. I think it comes across better on his guitars, but on bass, it's such a dramatic look. That's good or bad, and is up to the observer/owner to decide if it's right for them.
  3. Mo'Phat,
    I really like the look of the upswept horn. It is about the only one I know of among bass builders. I don't really think that single cut basses look very good, but lots of people really do.

I've been G.A.S,ing for a Linc bass for a while now. Unfortunately, I'm just not in the place financially to invest in one. I just wonder with the simple control layout if they are somewhat one-dimensional in their sound?
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    When my band opened for Stephan Pearcy last summer, his bass player had two of them. He let me try one out, and I was very impressed. It was one of the nicest basses I have had the opportunity to play. I am not crazy about the looks, but the feel, playability, and tone (played through an SVT Classic and SVT810 cab), were unbelievable.
  5. i played around on one at local GC. it was a 4 string, and i had to play it upside down as i'm a lefty, but i was extremely impressed with the quality. the assymetrical neck profile was also very cool.
    the finish was great, but i have never been too big on such a heavy lacquer finish, just feels plastic to me. now if he were to make an oiled version...that would be fantastic.
  6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i'm crazy about Linc Luthier basses.

easy to play.

7. Oh yeah, there was a very nice looking one on ebay - all Macassar ebony blah blah blah - an 8 string to boot (octave strings) - and the seller wants 1700 for it BIN. Now where's that money tree? . . .