Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody had vintage SVT 10's reconed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rickenbackerman, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I've got a 70's SVT cab with the 30 watt (I think, maybe more?) square-magnet eminence drivers. Over the years it's been overpowered, abused, kicked around and just generally molested. It doesn't sound so good. None of the speakers are blown, but after AB-ing it to a newer SVT cab, it blew mine into the weeds.

I just don't know what to do with the thing. I've read some guys prefer the old speakers, but mine sound like crap!

Should I send all the 10's to Ted Weber for full cleaning, remagging and reconing? Or would I be better off putting newer, high wattage drivers in it?

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Reconing is almost always the best way to go. The only thing that remains from the old speaker is the basket and the magnet. Everything else is new. You will end up with like-new speakers.

Your speakers are probably suffering from cone fatigue, and voice-coil wear and fatigue. (Dust builds up in the coil, and the paper cones loose their elasticity.

The recone should run you about $50/speaker. You should be able to negotiate a better price if you do all eight at once. Otherwise do a couple at at a time.

3. Really? The new replacements from Eminence are only like $40 each. But it might be worth the recone for the restoration of the vintage vibe. Personally, I don't think the old 810s sound any better than the new ones, so I know what I'd do;) From a financial point of view, recones only make sense if the recone costs less than the replacement.

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I would replace the CTS alnico drivers with the new Eminence or New Sensor 10's. I've had dozens of SVT cabs over the years and always chased the Alnico's for the tone. After wasting lots of $, I replaced my current cab's speakers with the new 32 ohm Eminence, and WOW!!!!!!, it came alive. Don't bother reconing the old ones. They're cool, but they can't take the beatings, and you'll be happier in the long run.

5. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    As far as old CTS speakers go, both square looking magnets could be either ceramic or alnico.

My B-15 speaker has a flat looking square magnet that has sharp edges and is a ceramic.

I also have some 10" CTS's that are alnico that have a rounded "raised" mag cover with what looks like flat sealed covers on the sides of the main magnet cover. You can see the lip of the seal cover. These are alnico.

I recommend Ted Weber (VST) for reconing or just buy some new Eminence and be done with it.

Tapp

6. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Spacegoat - where have you seen the replacement 10's for $40? The cheapest I've seen them is $75.

If I do go the recone route, from what I've heard, Ted Weber is definitely the man. He quoted me $40 a piece.

What to do, what to do...

7. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    By the way guys, these are square magnet Eminence drivers, not CTS. They have 30oz magnets and are dated the 48th week of 1976. The square Eminences are a little more rare and seem to be sought after... I don't know if they're ceramic or alnico however.

8. Sorry man,

That price is the dealer price, straight from New Sensor. I'm not sure what they list at. Sorry for the misinformation. My mistake. If you're going to recone Weber's the way to go regardless of price...

9. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I just thought I'd bump this back up and let anybody who cares know the results...

I had all 8 drivers reconed by Ted Weber, who did an awesome job, REALLY knows his sh*t, and his customer service is top-notch.

The cab sounds great and the speakers aren't even broken in yet. After A/B-ing it with a newer cab, mine isn't quite as loud and doesn't quite have as much low end, but Ted said the speakers should be driven hard for at least 20 hours for break-in before I can really compare...

I'm running my '73 SVT into it which was recently gone through by Pete Cage of Cage amplification, who is also a great guy and really knows his sh*t. Anybody in the mid-atlantic who needs a good tech, go here: www.audiocage.com

So, basically, I'm running a newly set up '73 SVT into a pretty much new (but better!) '76 810, and I have another newer 810 on hand (guitarist's) to use at gigs for the whole SVT+ two cabs experience.

I'm using this rig in a LOUD band to go up against the guitarist's orange/matamp onslaught. He usually uses two 120 heads and three 4x12 cabs. The band is called Earthride if anyone's curious. www.earthride.net

10. Rickenbackerman,
    What was the price/turnaround Ted Weber gave you for all 8 speakers?
    Also what did the shipping run you?
    Which cab do you prefer and why?

11. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Tom,
    Ted charges $40 a piece for 10" recones... he gave me one free though, since I was getting all 8 done at once. Total cost was $280 plus shipping both ways. Turnaround time should be a few weeks to a month, depending on how backed up he is at the moment.

About which cab I prefer, I definitely prefer the newer eminence speakers at this point. However- the weber recones are not fully broken in yet. I need to log 20 or so hours on them before I can do a fair comparison.