1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody happy and chuffed with what they have...? (DB Forum thread)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Fretless55, Nov 5, 2018.

1. just a thought after all the “what and whatever” in regards to “stuff” in the DB corner of TB.
    God knows there’s so much to futz with in the pursuit of music.

Trying to find the zen in all the conversations.

2. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I was just thinking the other day that my setup finally sounds and feels great, but I didn't want to post about it. Afraid I'd jinx it.

3. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I love everything I've got. It's all good time and good sounds. Except for my playing, sometimes.

salcott likes this.
  4. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    It doesn't just happen for most of us, it takes time to find that "zen". But if you're familiar with playing any other musical instrument, it's very similar with DB...

You decide you want to play, you get an instrument, you start learning to play -- which really never ends -- and you start tweaking your instrument -- which can end for some of us (but it can take a long time), or if you're like some of us, you'll always be tweaking.

This is all part of "making it yours".

One thing that really helps is having teachers and/or mentors who have been down this road before you. And, of course TB/DB helps a lot in that regard too.

5. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I feel like I get a little caught up in string choice (they wear out and need to be changed), but despite the fact the very few people would choose the bass, pickup, or amp I have I’m finding my voice as a player. Nothing too spendy, either.

6. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    For me, instrument, strings, and pick-up have remained consistent for decades, providing whatever “zen” I may have. The itch that sometimes needs to get scratched has to do with electronics, as new products and improvements have become available over the years. As I age, I look for ways to make the gear lighter and simpler.

7. Im very happy with the bass i havent finished building and the amp im saving up for.

JKos likes this.
  8. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I'm totally satisfied with the bass and bow I have. I have one more set of strings (Passione stark replacing medium gauge) to try out, and if they perform as I've been advised, I'll be good to go for whatever playing time I have. If they aren't what I'm looking for, back on with the old set and onward.

9. My happiness goes up when I spent less time on TalkBass and more time playing.

tonequixote, alanloomis1980 and JKos like this.
  10. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I am totally happy with everything about my fretted sound. Not happy with my fretless sound, working on a build to hopfully solve that.

mark286 likes this.
  11. Very happy with my sound right now. Eagerly looking forward to my new instrument, once it's made, but what I have is already giving me a good time.

12. I'm in the lucky position of knowing that I'll never be advanced enough to outgrow my nice Chinese hybrid so I will always be happy with it!

Also I have way too much equipment associated with the other instruments that I play to ever outgrow, get bored or not have the tools to get the job done somehow.

I wish everyone could be this fortunate.

Cheers

13. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I have a pretty simple perspective on gear - I want my playing to be the limiting factor, not my instrument. As long as what I play isn't getting in the way of me making music and continuing to improve, I'm happy.

When in doubt about the need for new gear, listen to someone who plays better than you play on your gear.

-S-

Chris Fitzgerald and CayGee like this.
  14. CayGee

CayGee

Feb 21, 2018
    Massachusetts
    "When in doubt about the need for new gear, listen to someone who plays better than you play on your gear."

That's a great line, Sir.

A little off on a tangent here, but I have to confess....
    In the way-distant past, I had felt that if I had this one great guitar or great bass that i would be a great player automatically. Then, one adds a bunch or electronic gear to again 'improve' one's playing. Sad to say that most of us know it doesn't work like that.

How many times do we see players and bands with tons of crap pedals, expensive amps and gizmos; and the players themselves are mediocre at best - while a guy or gal with a beat-up Tele or ancient bass and an old amp sounds like a million bucks?

These are the people who have stayed true and put long-term effort into it - there are no shortcuts. Oh...how long it took me to learn that lesson...

Steve Freides likes this.
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My ability to play has yet to reach the full potential of my instruments, so I'm all set for now ;)

tonequixote and Steve Freides like this.
  16. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    When I have a good rehair and my bass is stable both my bow and bass are great. I have nice light wood German bow that has always felt great. My bass I've been happy with since I got it around 25 years ago.
    I have a pick up I really like, good cables and a few nice amp options I am happy with. I am also happy with my travel bass, so yeah, I am all set for now.