1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody have a DIY solution to fix a loose output jack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GeorgiaPaige, Apr 8, 2015.

1. GeorgiaPaige

GeorgiaPaige

Apr 16, 2014
    Melbourne
    I'm getting a lot of infrequent static crunching with my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass, pretty sure a loose output jack is the problem. Buut because the jack goes through the plate etc I can't just unscrew the whole thing and tighten it..
    Looking for a DIY solution because of a very tight budget but let me know if it's not worth it and I should just suck it up and get it serviced.

(My DIY skills are very 'medium'....)

Thanks!
    EDIT: The trouble is the knobs which also go through the plate, preventing it being easily lifted. http://www.hotwire-bass.com/tl_files/hwb/Technik/Retro/mm/mmsr3kn3bd.jpg
    Is there a way of taking them off?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  2. Since your DIY skills aren't so great, I would take it to a tech and have him look at it. Maybe replace the jack for a better quality switchcraft one.

Ask if you can watch so you can learn how to DIYourself later. It really isn't that hard, but you may have to solder stuff depending on your situation.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I have faith in you. All that is required is to remove the screws that hold the control plate down. This will grant you free access to the output jack. Clean it and tighten it, then replace the screws that secure the control plate.
    This may be a 15 minute job.

Chinchano, Lava, TomB and 3 others like this.
  4. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, it's one of those annoying jobs where the breakdown and restore takes longer than the actual 'fix'. Whilst you have the plate off, bend the 'hot' contact in a bit (1-2mm) to increase the pressure.

GeorgiaPaige and thabassmon like this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    stewmac of course has a very specific tool for tightening output jack and pot nuts without removing them, but I agree, easy enough to open up and fix yourself, special tools not required.

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    It is literally just a matter of removing 3 screws, lifting the plate off of the body and tightening the nut. It is a 5 minute job a the most and anyone that can figure out the concept of lefty loosy, righty tighty can pull it off. You will be fine.

7. GeorgiaPaige

GeorgiaPaige

Apr 16, 2014
    Melbourne
    Haha, it's the knobs which also go through the plate which are holding me back -

http://www.hotwire-bass.com/tl_files/hwb/Technik/Retro/mm/mmsr3kn3bd.jpg

Can't find anything on how to take them off etc

8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Yes, you can just remove the control plate screws and fix it yourself. There is enough slack in the wires just for such repairs.
    EDIT: don't worry about the other wires you have plenty of slack to do the repair without loosening anything else.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, the whole plate should lift off, knobs, jack and all, so you can hold the jack from the back while tightening it from the front.

barring that, the trick is to use a tapered hand reamer stuffed into the jack...

which will keep it from turning and breaking the wires off; use a little wrench to tighten the nut around the jack, done.

GeorgiaPaige likes this.
  10. GeorgiaPaige

GeorgiaPaige

Apr 16, 2014
    Melbourne

Ah great! That's what I was wondering - thanks!!

11. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    To prevent the output jack from loosening up again, I used an internal star lock-washer under the nut and on top of the flat washer. No more loosening jacks. It looks similar to this pic below. You shouldn't have to remove the volume and tone knobs to do this job, though. To tighten the hex (6-sided) nut, you can use an adjustable wrench - carefully as to not scratch/mar your control plate's finish, or use a nut driver. IIRC, it should be 11 or 12mm; though my Squier has a SwitchCraft jack, so it's 1/2".

12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Did you get it sorted, Georgia?

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

BTW - the knobs either pull off (press-fit) or they have small set screws on the side which hold them in place. To remove knobs with set screws, just loosen the screws.

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Time to learn.
    Google it.
    Best fix is to replace it with a good quality jack.
    This is a constant issue on budget basses.
    GLWTF

SteveCS likes this.