Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody have a NSD CR5M EUB?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sfbassplayer, Nov 5, 2004.

1. I'm thinking about upgrading by Ned Steinberger Designs CR4M 4-string EUB to a 5-string model. Unfortunately, I don't have a place to check a CR5M out here in the San Francisco Bay Area. If anyone has one, can you comment on the "B" string sound and the feel of the neck?

I'm a little concerned that I won't like the sound of the low "B" or that the neck may be a little to wide for me. Plus, what kind of strings do you use for the 5-string? I'm currently using Thomastik Spirocores which sound great.

2. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    I have one and I love it. The neck is very playable and comfortable, and the low B is strong, solid, and tight. I generally play it through an SWR Silverado Special, and it sounds great. Anyone else who has played it has had nothing but positive comments.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Agreed. The B string on mine was shockingly thick and full, and had similar timbre to the other 4 strings. Neck felt great, although it IS a tad wider than the 4.

4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I'm in Modesto, and I am starting to get used to the EU6 I've had for a few weeks now. The B is niiiice...and I'm equally impressed with the high C. Very smooth and not tinney. I can't wait to play this bass with Corellis, when I can get the spare change. If you are interested at all in trying out the 6, I'm sure we can arrange something.

5. I have a CR5M and its a great instrument. The B is big and punchy and warm.

I've been waiting for some time to spend with it so I can begin to use it on gigs, but I've been so busy learning songs and playing & recording the past few months that I haven't gotten around to putting serious hours into it, just some late night fooling around.

Aloha,

Jonathan

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Yup. The B string is solid stuff.

7. OK, I am ready to take the plunge on upgrading my CR4M to a 5-stringer NSD bass.

Can someone with a CR5M do me a big favor? I'd like to know the neck width at the nut and 12th "fret" position.

These details are not specified on the NSD web site.

The CR4M is 1-11/16" at the nut and 2-13/16" at the 12th "fret" position.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have a CR5 and the B string is very good, although I don't use it that much - it's nice to have a low D or C for occasional use and these notes do really shake the floor and are felt more than heard!!

I think that whereas on 5 string BG I use the B a lot to get bassier sounds, to get more of an upright sound; I don't actually need to do this on the CR5 EUB as it all sounds as bassy as a DB - so in a way I have found the B a bit redundant and it is sometimes just in the way. So, where I really want to pull the strings with my right hand, my thumb tends to strike the B and make extraneous unwanted noises!! ;)

As to strings, I found a big difference - more of a real DB sound - when I switched to Pirastro Flexocors (Orchestrals) - so much better than the stock strings!! :)